Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Need ideas for unusual recipes with pedestrian ingredients!

My dedication to cooking has been much revered by my in-laws, who now look forward to my meal-planning and cooking on vacation. I am happy to oblige but for the fact that many, many ingredients are just not available in the middle of Wisconsin. While they have great meats and vegetables, any interesting spices, vinegars and flavor-adders (like capers) are no where to be found.

Any ideas for culinary brilliance with simple ingredients?

asked by BklynChef73 over 5 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

How much more pedestrian can you get than the "dirt water dog", http://www.food52.com/recipes... , right off the streets of Manhattan.

Actually this sounds like an excellent opportunity to show case those great meats and vegetables. Think of was to present those items in their nakedness. It's amazing what a bit of salt, pepper, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, butter, fresh cream can do to help reveal the sensuousness of the mundane.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Try looking at some Southern recipes. Gulf Coast or New Orleans style.
They use simple ingredients.

French Country Cooking could offer the same type of wonderful departure from their normal meals. Bonus: Wisconsin has great cheeses and meats.

Bring some simple things with you: some of the harder to find spices, capers, olives, good vinegars, etc, and a selection of good salts to leave with them.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

If they have great vegetables, do they also have fresh herbs? I think that fresh herbs make everything taste special.

Got to think that Wisconsin must have great sausages---where there are butchers there is almost always forcemeat stuffed into casings.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Your in-laws are some lucky folks! Some random thoughts (even though culinary brilliance is not my forte): homemade aioli (see the contest), getting "ingredients" from the liquor store, bringing a few things in your suitcase, homemade ricotta, hardlikearmour's pickled prunes (might pack some spices for that?), grilled fruit... this is off the top of my head but if I think of anything I will add more. This is a fun question!

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Can you get to the farmer's market in Madison? It's outstanding: http://www.dcfm.org/. They claim to be the largest market in the country.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Have you checked out local farmer's markets? I can highly recommend the one in Madison - one of the best and oldest in the country - but there are many others all over WI. Lots of small producer smoked meat and sausages (German roots), artisan cheese makers (way beyond cheddar), honey, great produce - including a big variety of mushrooms and herbs...not to mention microbreweries every which way. In other words, we ate very well there.

Maybe this will help: http://www.wisconline.com...

1621bf4a b666 446d a76b 977c16fc30dc  n628677155 664687 4362

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Unfortunately we will be nowhere near Madison (but yes, that farmer's market is amazing), as that is a pretty cosmopolitan town. We settled on a Thai-style chicken dish, as peanut butter, soy sauce and red pepper flakes are pretty ubiquitous these days, even in a resort town in the woods!

That said, I might pack some fish sauce with my cosmetics!

Just about everywhere I go that involves a stay with family for a vacation of one sort or another ends up being in a place with very limited choices at the local groceries. I take with me a good supply of yeast, my baking chemicals (baking powder and baking soda, and salt), peppercorns in a small mill, a good chunk of fresh ginger, a good chunk of Italian parmigiano, and a dozen or so spices and/or good dried herbs. Then I have a lot of fun meeting the challenges of a less well-equipped kitchen and limited ingredients. Yes, I mean, "fun," because I make it fun. The Thai-style chicken sounds like an excellent choice! I've heard from reputable sources, by the way, that the local beer that you can get only in Wisconsin (because they keep it all to themselves) is truly outstanding. ;o)

bklynchef73: That said, I might pack some fish sauce with my cosmetics!

Check out a local camping store and look for leak proof squeeze bottles. I'll take soy, Worcester sauce, oil and vinegar in my checked bags for those. Ziplocked for added protection due to air-pressure. Look for bottles with the 'fold down' nozzle as the snap on ones can unsnap, leave some headroom in the bottle too because of air-pressure in cargo holds. I also find the pre-packed pepper mills sold in the spice section have pretty good pepper. The camp store will also have little snapclosed things--about the size of a old film canister or less. For packing salts and spices. Heck..a old school photoshop probably still has those.

Sometimes the specialness is in the presentation. I think one of the prettiest and unusual dishes I ever made was turnip chrysanthemenums. My recipe was from a Japanese cookbook but a quick google search bought up this http://www.dinnertool.com.... You don't really need the kombu, and I used the cutting technique with small beets as well -- perhaps other veg might work also. Could be a splashy garnish/side to your thai dish.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

@[email protected] ... you have just given me some fabulous ideas for our next vacation!

Don't know where in Wisconsin, but I was amazed to see an entire aisle of ethnic ingredients in Sheboygan, WI. Also some Asian stores-there's a big Hmong population there.

wssmom, if you do take a vacation there, let me know and I'll get more specific information on the local beers, good watering holes for sampling them, as well as some recommendations for great eats in Madison. (My son is a student there!) The farmers' market is one of the best in the country, especially for the non-produce items, as noted. You want good fresh cheese? Sausage? Maple syrup? Honey? It's all fantastic.People drive 2+ hours from elsewhere in the state to shop there. I certainly would. ;o)