Is it worthwhile to get a mandoline?

Can't decide between spending $20 vs $200.

• Posted by: siny54
  • June 26, 2011

Frontalgirl
Frontalgirl June 26, 2011

Get the $20 one. I've had mine for 12 years and have more than gotten my money back on it. I use it frequently and it makes my kitchen life so much easier! Just please, please use the hand guard.

Sam1148 June 26, 2011

Yes, But don't bother with the really expensive one, or the ones with multiple blades.
I rarely use those. The simple Japaneese Beringer slicer is just fine. They really shine for making paper thin consistent cuts. The 'tooth' blade insert on those make nice garnish slices. They also pack flat and clean up in the dishwasher.

For those, get the one that slightly wider.

drbabs June 26, 2011

Second that. And if you're a klutz (like me), get the special gloves and wear them when you use it so you don't slice your finger in spite of yourself.

boulangere June 26, 2011

Well you certainly don't need to spend $200. I waited a long time before I got one. I'm at a point where I take on new appliances or kitchen tools reluctantly. I just don't need any more "stuff", and I definitely don't want anything I won't use regularly. That said, I love mine. It's one with V shaped blades, which I really like because there is much less resistance against anything being sliced. I lovelovelove it for making zucchini "spaghetti" - which I would honestly probably never make without one. It makes any kind of slaw a snap to make. I got it about 3 years ago, and I know I didn't pay over $50 for it.

Panfusine
Panfusine June 26, 2011

The german boerner mandolins sell for a reasonable price. I inherited mine from my mother & its been going strong for 15 years now!
The advantage of a mandolin is the beautiful uniform way it cuts, juliennes & slices, but the blades are viciously sharp. & its not easy to clean.

mrslarkin June 26, 2011

Don't spend a gazillion dollars. Get a cheapo japanese benriner like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-Company-BN1-Mandoline/dp/B0000VZ57C/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309124531&sr=1-1

I've got the fancy one and i use it maybe once a year, if that much. It's kinda clunky.

And, yes! watch your fingertips!!

ellenl
ellenl June 26, 2011

I have a very inexpensive mandoline--have had it for about 25 years and love it, use it frequently, and have shaved many fingernails into vegetables.

latoscana
latoscana June 26, 2011

Could someone help me understand why the expensive ones are so expensive? Is the the quality of the blade? And if it's a fancy blade, would you need to sharpen it?

amreiskitchen
amreiskitchen October 24, 2011

I have an expensive one but the thing I think is must important is... the steel glove!!! I happen to prefer my fingers in tact!