Dal

Ad6a06f2 a75d 4673 8b53 846161a06d39  lentils

Can anyone help me understand what is itli dal and mactte dal (I think, the letters are not entirely clear) ? The first look possibly like small split barley; the second look pretty much the same but yellow. Thank you!

asked by nogaga over 7 years ago

Panfusine

the yellow one looks like split mung dal (Mung beans, dehusked & split) while the white one is Urad. (matpe) Urad has a wonderful glutinous fluffy texture when ground into a batter & is pretty much the egg substitute for pancakes in Indian cuisine.
If you are looking for recipes to use these.. Be glad to give you pointers!

Panfusine

The 'itli' probably refers to 'idli' a steamed rice & lentil cake that is a staple south Indian breakfast. (did you get these at a Srilankan grocery store by any chance ??)

nogaga

Many thanks! I'll bet you're right about the Idli... I also bough some beaten rice (poha). I bought them at an Indian shop in south Tel Aviv. I kind of went on a kick of buying good-looking pulses I couldn't quite identify ;) Any advice or recipe ideas would be more than welcome!

lastnightsdinner

I tested a lovely dish using urad dal for an Editors' Pick: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Panfusine

Poha makes for a great & quick breakfast dish.
You'll need:
1 onion, diced,
1 potato boiled & diced/crumbled,
1 cup poha (rinsed & drained, allow to sit for about 1/2 hr to soften)
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
springs of either dill or cilantro, chopped
1 deseeded serrano chile minced
a pinch of turmeric & salt to taste
1/4 cup roasted peanuts crushed. (either salted or unsalted)
juice of 1 lime or lemon

heat the oil in skillet, when it smokes add the mustard & cumin, give a stir and add the onions & chile. when the onion softens, add the potato, turmeric & salt (undersalt, since there will be a layer from the peanuts later). combine & stir for a 2 minute & then dump the rehydrated poha, mix well so that the spices coat the poha evenly. sprinkle some water, set the flame to lowest setting, cover & cook for about 5-10 minutes. Add the crushed peanuts, chopped cilantro/dill & drizzle with lemon/lime juice before serving.

@Panfusine: do you think the Poha recipe could be made with quinoa flakes? I have a huge supply!
Dal -- search food52, another spelling is Dhal -- they're so good...

Panfusine

I've never had quinoa flakes, Depending upon how soft or mushy it gets from rinsing, I'd say go ahead. it should taste great.. & thanks for the idea, I'd love to try this out!

Speaking of quinoa, I tried making pancakes with mung and quinoa which turned out great!

nogaga

Thank you! The Poha breakfast sounds delicious!