A replacement for Padron peppers?

I'm standing in the middle of the Farmer's Market and hoping to pick up some peppers I can use in place of Padron peppers for a Tapas dinner party we're throwing tonight. Any suggestions as to what would fry/blister up similarly? And won't be too, too hot to eat straight?

aargersi June 29, 2011

Just looked them up - apparently they are not overly spicy, so I would probably go with my old friend the poblano - or if you can find an anahiem that would work. What I would REALLY do though is get a few varieties since it's a bit of a crap shoot trying to match them - then you can roast peel and taste, use the ones that meet your needs and throw the rest into tomorrow's breakfast tacos.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee June 29, 2011

If you find yourself in an Asian grocery, look for Shisito peppers. They're a really good sub and taste pretty similar to the Padron.

Ralph531
Ralph531 June 29, 2011

Shisito! I knew there was another pepper that was very, very similar (or maybe it's the same pepper with an Asian name of some sort). Thanks so much - Foodpickle is the best!