🔕 🔔

Is rice OK to eat if left out all night?

I made plain rice in my rice cooker yesterday, I had some, left for work, and then forgot about it until this morning. It's been in the rice cooker since last evening. If I reheat it, will it be alright to eat?

asked by elisa over 5 years ago

Yes!! Unless of course it had egg/milk/meat or some perishable in it. But otherwise it should be totally fine. To test take a wiff... if it doesn't smell bad it is all right.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

NO! Cooked rice is more deadly than raw chicken - at least according to the BBC. There is something nasty for us in there that is NOT killed by reheating. "But rice is also a common cause (of food poisoning). It can contain Bacillus cereus, which is resistant to heat. "It's one that a lot of people don't know about, but you do have to be very careful with rice," says Martin. "It's not that rice itself is dangerous but after it's been cooked there are spores of bacteria that can germinate."" http://www.bbc.com/news...

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

correction to my last post. Should read: Cooked rice CAN BE more deadly than raw chicken. Clarification, the danger comes from the lack of education the public receives on the subject.

I have got the posting, wonder if that is true?

*Pazhaya Soru*
Best rated Breakfast

American Nutrition Association says that the previous day's soaked rice is the best for breakfast, used to be the staple diet in Kerala and Tamilnadu, not so long ago...
Rice (Tanjana Facts)
Traditionally rice is cooked in the afternoon and excess water is drained. After the rice cools down to room temperature, it is soaked fully in water and stored in an earthen clay pot. This covered pot with soaked rice is left overnight at regular room temperature. The rice would ferment by the next morning and is eaten for breakfast. Traditionally, it is eaten with a side dish, raw onion or green chili. Some prefer to drain excess water and eat it with yogurt and a slight sprinkle of salt.
The lactic acid bacteria break down the anti-nutritional factors in rice resulting in an improved bioavailability of micro-nutrients and minerals such as iron, potassium and calcium by several thousand percentage points. For example, after 12 hours of fermentation of 100 grams of rice, the availability of iron changed from 3.4 mg to 73.91mg (an increase of 2073%).
In the agrarian communities of South East Asia, fermented rice played a big role in the lives of people. It gave the energy, the nutrition and the cooling effect that they needed for a full day of manual labor. Unfortunately, people moving up the food chain (or wealth chain, rather) looked down on fermented rice as the pauper’s food and ignored the great nutritional value it provides.
Food scientists who researched on the food practices among various regions in the world and concluded that the South Asia’s tradition of consuming the previous day's cooked rice soaked in plain water overnight, in the morning next day, as break-fast, is the best. It has the rare B6 B12 vitamins which are not otherwise easily available in other food supplements. This rice generates and harbors trillions of beneficial bacteria that help digestion and has many disease fighting and immunity developing agents. The bacteria that grow in the intestines due to this rice safeguard the internal organs and keep them fit and ready. Consuming this rice helps quicker digestion and wards off ageing, bone related ailments and muscular pains. Brown rice is the best for this as its nutrients are retained intact.
American Nutrition Association has listed the following benefits if you stick to the practice of consuming such soaked rice.
• Consuming this rice as breakfast keeps the body light and also .
• Beneficial bacteria get produced in abundance for the body.
• Stomach ailments disappear when this is consumed in the morning as excessive and harmful heat retained in the body is neutralized.
• As this food is very fibrous, it removes constipation and also dullness in the body.
• Blood pressure is normalized and hypertension subsides appreciably.
• Body feels less tired due to this food as a result of which one feels fresh throughout the day.
• This removes allergy induced problems and also skin-related ailments.
• It removes all types of ulcers in the body.
• Fresh infections are kept at bay due to consuming this rice.
• It helps in maintaining youthful and radiant look.
Consuming this takes away your body’s craving for tea or coffee. This is the richest source of vitamin B12 for vegans. So, do not throw away that extra rice you had cooked. It could be the healthiest breakfast you will ever have.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

it should be perfectly fine (assuming that it was kept covered with a lid). the rice would probably be a touch drier freshly made rice, & maybe slightly clumped up in the shape of the rice cooker pan. you can always sprinkle some water, cover & microwave it before eating. If you find even the slightest bit of squelchiness compared to fresh cooked rice, toss it out.

Although many people do leave rice in the cooker overnight, (I've done it,in cool weather andI had a Korean foreign exchange student who would do that), you should be aware of a bacteria named Bacillus Cereus that grows rapidly on rice and causes severe food poinioning. I would not feed to to children, elderley or large groups.

And it isn't helped by cooking it again, as in fried rice, because it can survive high temperatures. So, strictly speaking it is not safe, if you eat it you are taking some level of risk by not properly refigerating it.

I have to weigh in with nutcakes and plevee: NO! Rice is cheap. Throw it out.

If you had a party would the rice remain out the same amount of time? Does it smell and feel OK? It may just be me, but I don't get so worked up about these things, though I don't want to be foolish either. I also don't enjoy cold food--I like it room temp. Other than a heat wave, I often leave food out, covered, on purpose. I made a summer vegetable torta Thurs. eve. On Friday eve. I took out of the refrigerator and left it out. It will be dinner tonight--Sat. Don't know if this helps at all.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

As with all food, it partly depends on the temp in the room. (To serve something room temp, taking it out of the fridge an hour or two before eating usually suffices) But with rice, I'd err on the side of caution and toss it.

Starchy food is a common medium for bacteria. There's apparently even something called 'Fried Rice Syndrome' associated with cooked rice left out too long at room temp - even frying it at hi-temps doesn't kill the spores that have formed:

Starchy foods, such as rice or potatoes, are commonly associated with B. cereus emetic (vomiting) toxin outbreaks. Due to its preparation process, one of the most common food vehicles for transmission of emetic B. cereus illness is fried rice, and there have been several reported outbreaks. The spores of B. cereus are activated in the initial preparation of the rice, which if stored at abusive temperatures (approximately 59 to 104°F or 15 to 40°C) for an extended time, will outgrow and produce a toxin that is heat stable and will not be inactivated during subsequent cooking.

I'm not always totally compulsive about food safety, but as someone else said...rice is cheap. Cured pork products might be worth the risks. Raw milk cheese, if you're not pregnant, sure. But plain rice? Nah...toss it.

I wish it were safe but it is not. Contrary to what one person posted, cooked pasta and rice are perishable foods. Staphylococcus aureus (staph), can form a heat-resistant toxin that cooking can't destroy and one of the most common sources of staph bacteria is the human body. Even healthy people carry staph.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Any moist, dense food is a prime candidate for bacterial growth. I have eaten rice that was left out all night, and I'm still here to tell the tale, but from an objective standpoint you should throw it away. It's cheap and quick to make and not worth the risk.

No!

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

I am sure there is a minuscule chance of bacteria and food poisoning, but if leaving rice out overnight was deadly, most of the population of Asia would be decimated. Every Japanese family I know leaves rice in the cooker all day. Seriously, people, get a grip.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Traditional cultures often have food pairings that slow or prevent unwanted bacterial growth. For example, in Korea, rice is often eaten with Kimchi, in Japan, ume boshi are paired with rice, especially when rice is to be stored at room temperature for more than an hour. Traditional diets are rife with food pairings that taste good and keep people health.

Regarding rice cookers, my Japanese rice cooker states that for health reasons, cooked rice is not to be eaten more than 12 hours after it is cooked, unless it is refrigerated within the first two hours of being cooked. It looks like Japan has some experience with the potential danger of mishandeling cooked rice.

In our affluent part of the world, what we choose to eat is an individual decision. With something as important as food, it's important to make it an INFORMED decision. I think this thread covered a lot of the different sides and opinions regarding the topic of cooked rice storage. Now it's up to each individual reader to choose how they wish to store their cooked rice.

Just a clarification, decimated means reduced by one tenth - perhaps you meant devastated? It's difficult because we cannot edit our posts on this form, so I'll assume you meant that they would be in a really bad way.

This thread is over 2 yrs old, I think she has her answers by now.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Why do old threads pop up to the top of the hotline? I'm guessing that when things are too quiet, the hotline gods churn up some old cosmic matter to generate interest. I notice it often happens. Then users again get highly exercised by something that they don't realized was resolved aeons ago.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I think they pop up when someone is asking a question and the system comes up with the same question already asked... maybe, or maybe it's aliens. But kind of glad it did pop up again. Not enough people know about the dangers of rice.

Sorry, this thread popped up to the top of Hotline. I didn't know it was 2 years old. If your rice has been sitting out for 2 years, don't eat it ;)

4d1d8213 c155 414c 9f72 e88dcbc5a107  stringio

Hahahahahahaha

I meant to type "realize", not "-ed".

88aa60b1 61dc 4397 af9f 1de849e623de  fb avatar

No!!!! Food bacteria grows fast in rice!

Terrible news!!! I just heard from Elisa's family, she tossed out the rice and lived..that is, until she threw herself off of the balcony after reading all these answers....

B577f593 3d92 4a46 960c 008cf4816c4a  color splash

ha

B48e3147 3ec6 42c0 b56b 9b725d2f659e  fb avatar

No don't eat it. If you simply google this, its all over the place, Food regulations say no more than 2 hours out without refrigeration. They request 1 hour is best. Only reheat it 1 time. Bacteria is not the rice, but what is on the rice. Read these articles attached. Restaurants have and outbreaks of sickness from 1 day old rice. Please look up actual food guides, before poisoning yourself, and your family.
http://www.abc.net.au/health...
http://motherwouldknow...

42d62a0a c5d0 495e 924b 044d0bcc396d  fb avatar

So, a microwave's waves cannot kill all harmful bacteria, right?