🔕 🔔

Has anyone made steel cut oats in a rice cooker?

I want to set my rice cooker on timer mode and wake up to delicious steel cut oats tomorrow morning.
Anyone have ideas on time and measurements?
Thanks!

asked by HeviCooks almost 7 years ago

5c7fe5ea c756 4ec5 9440 7a3a1a683515  img 1920

I've used the slow cook setting on my rice cooker to make the Overnight Steel-Cut Oats recipe on this site (http://www.food52.com/recipes...). I've tried many times, even using almond milk in place of regular milk. I set the timer for eight hours, go to sleep, and wake up to a hot breakfast. It is heavenly. The recipe makes too much for one person, so I've been doing it with 1/3 cup of oats and 1 1/3 cups water and 2/3 cups of milk.

04c705eb 0d28 4901 8638 fe69c45501e5  photo 46

Thank you! I will try that tonight.

You might google a bit, I seem to recall a big discussion about this on chowhound when I was researching rice cookers. by all accounts the zojirushi makes great oats!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I have your basic WalMart generic $19.99 rice cooker. It does an admirable job on steel-cut oats. I use the same proportions recommended for stove-top cooking -- 3 parts water to 1 part oats, plus about a half-teaspoon of kosher salt, hit "cook" and walk way. 20 minutes later, I have excellent oatmeal. It has a little liquid standing on top, which, stirred in, makes the oats a perfect consistency for me to add butter and brown sugar and pig out.

Thank you everyone!! I woke up to a steaming hot pot of oats, and like you said Kayb, there was a little liquid on top, but it mixed in just great. Am very excited to experiment now that I know it works....!