What's a good substitute for amchur powder? I want to make paneer in spinach + fresh fenugreek sauce, but I have no amchur. Many thanks ;o)

Many thanks ;o)

nogaga

I'm sure Panfusine will have a better answer, but I've used ground dried lemon rinds and it has not caused any harm! It puckers less than real amchur, but it works.

Thanks, nogaga!! Wondering if perhaps sumac would work . . . or maybe tamarind? ;o)

Panfusine

anardana powder (dried pomegranate powder), or even blended up fresh raw green mangoes. Tamarind paste can be a tad too strong (in dire circumstances, I've fallen back on tamarind coupled with brown sugar to offset the pucker inducing tartness)

nogaga

The sumac question is excellent, AntoniaJames. I feel that its sourness would be too different from the amchur sourness, but I can't quite put my finger on why that is. Yet I am certain it is true. The amchur, maybe, has that raw fruitiness, whereas sumac, in my mind, has a more salty characteristic. But who knows... What did you try?