Left over rice & fresh peas

I want to "freshen" some left over jasmine rice by adding some fresh peas to it. What would be the best seasonings to add, other than garam masala. Thanks a lot.

• Posted by: DebJ
  • July 6, 2011

Sam1148 July 6, 2011

One handy thing to keep in the 'fridge is lemon grass paste in the tube. Just a 1/2 tsp of that to leftover rice makes nice rice. You can find it in the produce section at some supermarket, I've even it at wal-mart.
IMHO, I find the paste superior than pounding fresh to mix with rice as it incorporates much better than often times tough stems of lemon grass--plus it stores well for use on demand.

Bevi
Bevi July 6, 2011

You could make a variation on risi e bisi, which usually calls for arborio rice, I believe. But it's a thought.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa July 6, 2011

mint and/or parsley and/or chives and/or scallions.

Summer of Eggplant

Oh hands down this one from Mark Bittman and Jean Georges. http://www.nytimes.com... add the peas in at the end. I've done it many times with the egg for breakfast and without as a savory side dish. You could probably even wrap the rice in banana leaves and throw it on the grill.

DebJ
DebJ July 6, 2011

Thanks, all for the ideas. I ended up with some scallions, a bit of butter and the peas. It worked. Your suggestions are great and will end up trying them all. Thanks again.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph July 6, 2011

Fried onion,raisin and cashew in Ghee