Q. what kinds of cheese would you recommend for a picnic. Not too stinky and goes will with a nice pino

asked by @GerardCrichlow about 8 years ago

dymnyno

My favorite cheese to pair with wine is a big chunk of parmesan..travels well...not stinky...and doesn't overpower the wine. A good cheesemonger will steer you to the best kind of parmesan (and don't let him sell you a big stinky blue cheese!)

Wait, you are talking to the original "stinky cheese man" here. Smellier the better. But if you are comfortable with runny cheese I'd suggest Cowgirl Creamery's "Red Hawk". Or a French "epoisses" style, washed rind cheese. I admit to being more of a cheese guy than a wine guy. Remember that cheese is a living (and dying) organism so use it quickly.

Sadassa_Ulna

Manchego is mild and sturdy and would be great with pinot noir!

I would ask Sasha - she has never steered me wrong on wine pairings!!! spinthebottleny.com

Bevi

Manchego!

anyone

You have some great suggestions here but I believe you said not too stinky so I thought I would share with you the not so stinky cheeses we pair with our Oregon Pinot Noir. Camembert, Canadian Chedder, Smoked chedder, Brie, Herbed Brie Smoked Brie, and Gouda. Those are my picnic "not too Stinky" cheeses for Oregon Pinot Noir. Have fun and enjoy!

betteirene

Noir, blanc, gris/grigio?

http://www.oregonwines.com/pairing.php?VarietalID=23

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Aged gouda is delicious, be sure you pack a Swiss army knife. Agree with the manchego, great with fruit and/or quince paste. Cheddar is my favorite outdoor cheese (I'm from Wisconsin... you can get great cheddar from Mars Cheese Castle on the web once the weather cools down). Muenster. Fontina. St. Andre with fruit. Fresh mozzarella with a cold pack to keep it from getting icky. I guess I'm not a good narrow it down to one or two person.

Kayb

Aged gouda, with honey.