🔕 🔔

Urgent question...steaks for dinner tonight are still frozen

We brought steaks to our vacation house and we're grilling in about thirty minutes. They are still partially frozen. How best to defrost them without ruining them or risking food poisoning?

asked almost 7 years ago

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

When it comes to defrosting, I prefer to let the meat sit under running water. The movement of the water over the meat seems to speed up defrosting tremendously. If I'm not in a rush, I do it with cool water, but I have gone as high as luke warm (but not warm/hot) water when in a rush.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

We throw the sealed bag in the pool!

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Running water. And recent studies show that even warm water is safe.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Running water works (and I don't necessarily approve) but it takes a long time. The microwave is the fastest and safest way.

Bf091166 34a7 4e8d b083 ad9ea9eb67dc  capture

Agreed.. I would definitely run them under cold tap water.. That should do the trick in a reasonable amount of time.

See Harold McGee (June 6, 2011) in the NYT on thawing in warm water

Peter

For those looking for the McGee article Gale mentions, here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com...

Interesting read.

I think that i would still be more leaning towards cold water than hot. I would think that hot water would be way to forceful and change the end quality. How? I don't know and honestly, I don't thank that I would ever do that. In my experience, Steaks respond best to slow. And cold tap water would be the way to go because the temp would change slower than if using hot water.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Thanks everyone. Running water worked, and we had a delicious dinner last night!