Urgent question...steaks for dinner tonight are still frozen

We brought steaks to our vacation house and we're grilling in about thirty minutes. They are still partially frozen. How best to defrost them without ruining them or risking food poisoning?

nomnivorous

When it comes to defrosting, I prefer to let the meat sit under running water. The movement of the water over the meat seems to speed up defrosting tremendously. If I'm not in a rush, I do it with cool water, but I have gone as high as luke warm (but not warm/hot) water when in a rush.

We throw the sealed bag in the pool!

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Running water. And recent studies show that even warm water is safe.

Running water works (and I don't necessarily approve) but it takes a long time. The microwave is the fastest and safest way.

Timothy Bullard

Agreed.. I would definitely run them under cold tap water.. That should do the trick in a reasonable amount of time.

Gale

See Harold McGee (June 6, 2011) in the NYT on thawing in warm water

Peter
Peter

For those looking for the McGee article Gale mentions, here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com...

Timothy Bullard

Interesting read.

Timothy Bullard

I think that i would still be more leaning towards cold water than hot. I would think that hot water would be way to forceful and change the end quality. How? I don't know and honestly, I don't thank that I would ever do that. In my experience, Steaks respond best to slow. And cold tap water would be the way to go because the temp would change slower than if using hot water.

Thanks everyone. Running water worked, and we had a delicious dinner last night!