🔕 🔔

I am trying to figure out the proper name for those small green chilies (they're thin, about 2 inches in length) used frequently in Indian recipes. They seemed to be everywhere while I was in London for a month, but I can only find them in New York at Indian groceries. I feel that I must be over thinking this, but still, I'm confused!

asked by LukasVolger about 7 years ago

I believe you're talking about Serrano peppers. They are used a lot in Thai dishes, not sure about Indian.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

probably serranos

I believe you are talking about the bhut jolokia. Accepted by Guinness World Records in 2007 as the world's spiciest chili, it is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat. It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili's spiciness.
Can be bright red or green.

Hope this helps.

2d92f7ad 99fa 44ec ba0e 725a0d6b6ade  red green chili peppers

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I'm with Stockout. I have had pretty good success with Thai bird chilies as a substitute.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I think they're Serranos.

I'll go with Thai Bird (fits the dimensions described) but I'm staying far away from anything that has a million Scoville units. Apply to tongue. Die.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

In our language Malayalam we call ''Pachamulagu'' or ''Kappal mulagu'' English it is cayenne chili peppers

06cc2361 c41f 4d4b aeba f1257c75741b  cayenne chili peppers

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thai bird peppers are mild compred to Scotch bonnets. I avoid the stand that sells scotch bonnets at the farmer's market. My lips tingle when i'm near them because the heat aromatizes. Think they're Thai, judging by dimensions.