I am trying to figure out the proper name for those small green chilies (they're thin, about 2 inches in length) used frequently in Indian recipes. They seemed to be everywhere while I was in London for a month, but I can only find them in New York at Indian groceries. I feel that I must be over thinking this, but still, I'm confused!

asked by LukasVolger about 8 years ago

kellysnoms

I believe you're talking about Serrano peppers. They are used a lot in Thai dishes, not sure about Indian.

thirschfeld

probably serranos

Stockout

I believe you are talking about the bhut jolokia. Accepted by Guinness World Records in 2007 as the world's spiciest chili, it is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat. It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili's spiciness.
Can be bright red or green.

Hope this helps.

Savorykitchen

I'm with Stockout. I have had pretty good success with Thai bird chilies as a substitute.

I think they're Serranos.

I'll go with Thai Bird (fits the dimensions described) but I'm staying far away from anything that has a million Scoville units. Apply to tongue. Die.

pauljoseph

In our language Malayalam we call ''Pachamulagu'' or ''Kappal mulagu'' English it is cayenne chili peppers

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thai bird peppers are mild compred to Scotch bonnets. I avoid the stand that sells scotch bonnets at the farmer's market. My lips tingle when i'm near them because the heat aromatizes. Think they're Thai, judging by dimensions.