🔕 🔔

Ideas for an Irish HotDog?

Any ideas for an Irish Hot Dog (take off of an Italian HotDog (potatoes/peppers) )
Anyone ever see one on a menu?

asked by PSM over 6 years ago

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Potato bread buns and top braised cabbage, or sort of bangers and mash, make a red wine rosemary ketchup, Guinness ketchup or braise the dogs in Guinness

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Not unusual to cook hot dogs in beer - and I think I've seen bratwurst done in dark German beer, so perhaps you could do hot dogs/sausages in Guinness? (I've used it for beef stew/carbonnade and the flavor worked well.) I'd test it out before serving it to anyone though.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Would an Irish soda bread type bun be too crazy? That might be gross. Thirschfield's potato bun idea is great, and definitely put braised cabbage on top, or maybe even a colcannon like mixture of cabbage and creamy potatoes on top. Sprinkled with some good Irish cheddar? Or maybe cheddar in the bun?

As an afficinado of the hot dog I really like Thirschfeld's suggestion for potato buns. I'm thinking along the lines of an Irish Breakfast dog wrapped in bacon, and maybe topped with potatoes O'Brian (chopped). You might even slip a fried egg in there.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I bet you could make a really good reduction sauce out of Guinness to pour over it all. Fiveandspice's idea for a colcannon potato mixture would be a must.