The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Homemade infused oils and vinegars -- safe for future giving?

I had great success over the weekend making delicious sage oil -- will posted related recipe shortly. I feel sure this or other infusions would make welcome holiday gifts. My question is, is it safe to infuse oils and vinegars now with peak goods from the garden for later holiday giving, or will I risk also sending the gift of botulism? What if I use citrus or other fruit instead of herbst? I'm guessing there's little (less?) risk with vinegars, but it's the lovely infused oil I really feel inclined to make and give.

asked by jwlucas almost 6 years ago

great gifts! be sure to refrigerate after infusion & include instructions for your luck recipients to do the same. when you introduce vegetable matter (herbs, garlic), you introduce the risk of contamination & bacterial growth. refrigeration is your friend!

I've never refrigerated infused vinegars, and have never heard of anyone doing it; nor have I seen any instructions to that effect. I doubt that using citrus instead of herbs or garlic makes any difference as to whether or not you should refrigerate oils. I've heard that oils infused with garlic should be used within a few weeks, even when refrigerated. ;o)

5ba86c99 9458 4f29 aba0 0796577d2cea  jwl 001

@boulangere -- It seems impractical to refrigerate for months before giving. I was thinking about pouring into decorative bottles and sealing corks with decorative wax, like a signet seal, but that may not be adequate protection.

@antoniajames -- I've also heard about being especially careful with garlic oil. I suspect I'm safest sticking with vinegars for gifts, unless I make them just before giving.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Give the gifts with recipes, and choose your recipients selectively, to assure that the oils are used in the near future. Waiting for your recipe!

Here's a good explanation of the problems with infused oils, from nutcakes, 4th comment down: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...