🔕 🔔

Amarena Cherries

Does anyone have a recipe for the syrup used to preserve Amarena cherries? Google has failed me.

asked by beyondcelery over 6 years ago

A184b6bc 7454 4a20 bf0e 19810b3bd34e  crackl
fo

i would:
1) happily pour it over vanilla or coconut gelato or ice cream
2)use it as the grenadine in a shirley temple or in a manhattan, depending on your age ; )
3) toss your stone fruit in it before you use it in a galette/tart for a je ne sais quoi?
4) pour a little in a glass, top with ice and fizzy water and call it an amarena soda
5) use it in your go-to balsamic vinaigrette, just a dash, for depth
6) glaze a squab during the final few minutes of roasting

the possibilities are endless!

fo

ooohhh, here're more:

brush it in between the layers of your yellowcake, before you spread on your butter cream, or if you're doing a chocolate cake, brush it between layers and call it black forest.

whip into whipped cream for desserts, or tint your creme anglaise

brush it onto the steak that you are about to submit to this weeks contest during grilling...

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Thanks, frankieolives! I actually meant to MAKE the syrup myself. I have some Rainier cherries I want to try preserving in the syrup used for Amarenas. But I can't find a recipe for what's in the syrup.

4b20d68e a15c 4c74 8b8a cd9b501ce587  fb avatar

Hi, did you ever find a recipe for the syrup? Stumbled on your original post and I'm struggling just as much as you did 4 years back to find a recipe online!

Nope. But I made some decent cherries using a simple syrup and a slash of bourbon (or was it rum?). Anyway, it's really the cherries themselves that make the flavor distinct. :)

fo

lol. ohhhh! well, now we know what to do with our leftover amarena syrup ;)

i think the recipe is a secret, from what i understand anyway. hmmm, maybe try making a syrup with sugar, amaretto and lemon juice.....

Indeed we do! Yes; I was beginning to get the sense this is a very well-kept secret recipe. I was hoping someone had managed to make up something similar. But apparently I'm going to have to do that myself. Yum. I like the amaretto suggestion.

Can't say for sure but I'm guessing it's just simple syrup, sugar and water, in which the cherries have macerated for a long time, releasing their flavor into the syrup. But amarena are a variety of bitter cherries, kind of unique to Italy.

Thanks, pierino. I think you're probably right.

A718bd8d d957 4142 992a 0f409f6f4d98  stringio

I preserved the cherries in a bottle of vodka with caster sugar. By Christmas you have a magic liqueur. Also put cherries in a white wine vinegar for a great flavourd vinegar.

Thanks for the idea, Paula G.! I ended up making a light syrup with vanilla sugar, water, and campari. When I get more cherries, I'll probably try a few variations on this. (I love to can.)

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

I've been experimenting with preserving sour cherries in vanilla/simple syrup over the last few summers. I'm curious about your proportions and intrigued by the campari--yum-- how much do you add?

Fresh red, sour cherries, lots of sugar, vinegar, lemon juice or balsamic, vanilla. Be sure to leave in some pits for the special flavor. Marinate for at least a month.

6d6b6687 60cb 47a6 a056 44d1805c9897  bacon pie

The secret ingredient is the cherries themselves. True Amarena cherries are from Italy, usually grown in Modena and Bologna (Similar to how true champagne can only come from the champagne region of France, otherwise it is just sparkling wine.). Italians preserve these small sour cherries in sugar. I'm going to try using Bing cherries and see what happens... I can probably only call them preserved cherries then, lol!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Not amarena cherries, but in the same vein - sour cherries are big in Hungarian cooking. I'm pretty sure the syrup was basic simple syrup. Most often they were used for sour cherry soup in the summer, but I also remember jars of them in kirsch. Also, my great grandmother would use them to make a loose jam, and stir a spoon of it into hot tea for us. Delicious and when you finished your tea, you got to eat the cherries left in the bottom of the glass (never a cup, always a small glass.)

@Midge: If memory serves, my best batch of preserved cherries came from first cutting the cherries in half, pitting, and dusting them with sugar overnight. It was about 1 cup cut cherries and maybe 1/4 cup sugar. Then I took all the liquid from that the next day, mixed with about 1/4 cup campari, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 cup water. I cooked the syrup down till it was slightly thickened, then canned the cherries in a water bath. I got the cherries from the farmer's market and I know they were a little on the sour side, but not like Amarena. Morello maybe? Anyway, they turned out great, even if I didn't keep track of my exact ratios.

Thanks so much beyondcelery! Look forward to trying your method when cherries are in season.

I've only used the very tart Montmorency, which work great.

Nice, I haven't seen Montmorency cherries. I'll keep a lookout for them!