🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Slow Roast Duck

8653a98f 7c27 4d7e 8ac7 f11cb525fcf9  5337480747 a8cebf7000 o

I have a question about the recipe "Slow Roast Duck" from merrill. How can one 5 pound duck serve 6-8 people? Seems much to small to me.

asked by Foodworm about 6 years ago

I think you are right. The recipe should call for 2 ducks to feed that many and it's certainly easy enough to double. Check M's headnote for the recipe.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I find duck to be fairly rich, so I usually find myself eating less of it than chicken. In my house, a 3-to-4-pound chicken typically serves 4 to 6 people, and a 5-pound duck is definitely enough for 6 (8 may be a stretch, but there are usually some who eat lightly). Of course, you can make 2 ducks if you have all enthusiastic eaters!

There is no way a 5 pound duck will feed 6-8 people. Duck is not nearly as meaty as chicken, and the wings and drumsticks are exceedingly scrawny. I hosted a dinner party for four women a few years back and a 4 1/2 pound duck fed us all, bolstered by dressing, mashed potatoes and two vegetable side dishes. In the end, the carcass was picked clean and there was not one morsel of duck left. Had there been six people to feed, two would have gone hungry.