Best use of tomato liquid that's leftover when roasting tomatoes?

I oven roasted a large tray of beautiful tomatoes for a roasted salsa recipe. I ended up with a lot of leftover tomato juice and seeds that leaked from the tomatoes during the roasting process. Any ideas for how to use this? I hate just to pour it down the sink.

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames August 1, 2011

Use it in a vinaigrette with some red wine vinegar, olive oil and fresh herbs plus salt and pepper. It will taste so good. Makes my mouth water just to think about it!! ;o)

thibse
thibse August 1, 2011

I would use it anywhere that I might need a vegetable stock, albeit an acidic one. Risottos, soups, etc. Or use it deglaze a pan after browning any meat for a delicious sauce.

SKK August 1, 2011

Love both answers and I have used it when making any kind of pasta sauce that calls for tomatoes.

Bevi
Bevi August 1, 2011

Reduce it, refrigerate it, and pour it directly on fresh tomato slices. It's delicious. If you are freezing any of the roasted tomatoes, pour some of the liquid in to freeze as well, or freeze separately.

Droplet
Droplet August 1, 2011

There is also a method for cooking pasta that is very similar to that for risotto. The pasta will absorb the liquid directly and you won't need to dilute it any further.