🔕 🔔

Best use of tomato liquid that's leftover when roasting tomatoes?

I oven roasted a large tray of beautiful tomatoes for a roasted salsa recipe. I ended up with a lot of leftover tomato juice and seeds that leaked from the tomatoes during the roasting process. Any ideas for how to use this? I hate just to pour it down the sink.

asked by anntruelove about 6 years ago

I would use it anywhere that I might need a vegetable stock, albeit an acidic one. Risottos, soups, etc. Or use it deglaze a pan after browning any meat for a delicious sauce.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Love both answers and I have used it when making any kind of pasta sauce that calls for tomatoes.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Reduce it, refrigerate it, and pour it directly on fresh tomato slices. It's delicious. If you are freezing any of the roasted tomatoes, pour some of the liquid in to freeze as well, or freeze separately.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

There is also a method for cooking pasta that is very similar to that for risotto. The pasta will absorb the liquid directly and you won't need to dilute it any further.