🔕 🔔

Fair Food

I'm confused, exactly what is fair food? I've never been to a fair, maybe a carnival or "feast of" or two. I knew that fair food was in a quirky category all it's own, fried pies, candy bars, popcorn, cotton candy, funnel cakes and the like and I know that each year the news will feature some new strange additions. I'm lost and I would be curious to see some outrageous recipes and hear the inspiration for the recipe.

asked by ibbeachnana about 5 years ago
Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

I just did a quick google search and noticed that you can find lists of fair food for a lot of state fairs. I did Illinois because that's where I'm originally from and found an app to help people navigate all of the vendors. Fair food definitely varies by region. In the Midwest for example, you'll find giant breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches (yum). Fair food, in my mind, is indulgent (with a few exceptions) and easy to eat out of hand (hence multiple foods on a stick!).

Some of my favorite fair foods at my regional fair (in Texas, which I believe has the superior fair food) are a steak kabob, pork kabob, shrimp kabob, roasted corn, pistolettes (cajun crawfish fried thing), boudain balls...and corn dogs, of course. When I went to the Texas State Fair in Dallas last year, they had some really inventive items like fried frito pie, fried beer, and fried lemonade.

Cd383ee1 8489 4608 ab42 3f588caf158f  carolyn jones john astin the addams family 1964 1

I hate fairs. Flat out. Don't want to watch the cattle auction or eat funeral cakes. However I've been to the New Orleans Jazz Fest a few times, pre-Katrina, and there were amazing things on fairground as in best boudin I've ever tasted in my life.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Fair food in India has a LOT in common with street food. Whenever there's a Mela (Fair) all the street side vendors make a beeline to the fairgrounds knowing fullly well that they'll make a killing! So should I just plop back my best street food dishes back into the contest ring?

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Bexchahlik - Love it, miss it, hello Houston rodeo!!!