🔕 🔔

Tomatillo Recipes!

What is your best recipe using tomatillos? I grow large amounts of them and sell wholesale to restaurants, but would like some tips on preparing them for myself!

asked by Platita about 6 years ago

608c6d9b a8a2 493c 84b1 0b0bd8574ef7  sks craigie

I use tomatillo salsa as a base for posole soup, as well as enchilada sauce (or enchilada pie). And of course the salsa itself tastes great with chips.

Basic salsa recipe:
Peel the tomatillos and cut them in half and remove the stem. Roast on a lightly oiled baking sheet (with sides!) for 30-40 minutes, until they are just browned.

When there's about 15 minutes left, roast a couple of jalapenos (I use 3 jalapenos per pound of tomatillos), and 1 inch pieces of the white and light green parts of scallions (I use 1 small bunch of scallions per pound of tomatillos), and a few cloves of garlic (I use 6-8, but I like a lot of garlic).

When the skins are peeling off the jalapenos, they're done. When they cool, peel off the skins, remove the stems and as many seeds as you like (I like mine spicy so I tend to leave more seeds in).

Throw the roasted tomatillos, the peeled jalapenos, the scallions, and the peeled garlic into a food processor. Add cilantro leaves (1/2-1 bunch). Add salt and pepper to taste. You can use water to dilute the salsa, but if you're making enchiladas or soup, use chicken stock as needed.

For more ideas, be sure to check Rick Bayless's website!

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I make this a LOT - uses grilled tomatillos

Thanks!! That second one (aargersi) is great seeing as I've grilled a 5-gallon bucket's worth of tomatillos....

That is a LOT of tomatillos! Maybe you should have a salsa party :-)

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

As I start to realize we're almost at the end of summer and before we know it, it will be cold and snowy here in NY, I can't help but think you should definitely freeze some of that fresh tomatillo salsa for winter! I don't know where you live, but if you don't grow them all year, it would probably be a nice treat to defrost some and be reminded of summer!

2ea5f096 f178 4103 85e5 394e87975c60  2016 12 27 01 46 11

I love to cook eggs in tomatillo, add raw sweet corn and put it all in a slightly crispy on one side flour tortilla with hot sauce and scallions and of course avocado!

I like this raw salsa that uses tomatillos.

Chop in a food processor or blender until very fine but not liquified:
2 medium tomatillos
1/4 C. or so white onion
1 medium jalapeno or serrano chile, or to taste
1 or 2 garlic cloves.

Add flesh of 1 avocado and chopped cilantro and salt to taste. Pulse until you get a chunky puree.

It's especially good on shrimp, fish, or chicken tacos. Also makes a good chip dip, somewhere between guacamole and salsa verde. An interesting thing about this salsa is that it doesn't darken on standing from the avocado--I guess the acid in the tomatillos prevents it.

868b6371 6d9e 4d50 81bc da95d22494e7  kg in evanston cropped

I recommend this recipe for slow cooked pork in tomatillos:

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Lucky you, what an embarrassment of riches . . . .

One of my all-time favorite tomatillo recipes is Rick Bayless's recipe, Tomatillo Braised Pork Loin. (It can be found in the cookbook, Rick Bayless's Mexico: One Plate at a Time, but here is an online link: http://today.msnbc.msn...)

Agree that if you have freezer space, I would consider freezing tomatillos. Maybe roast and puree them first?

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Here is my breakfast chilequeles recipe...http://www.food52.com/recipes...