Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

What's the best way to roast a spaghetti squash? If I cut in half and roast cut-side down, it seems too watery. If I roast cut-side up, it seems tough. Any suggestions?

asked by FrozenFoodie about 6 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have roasted cut side up with some broth in the hole, and basted now and again, that works pretty well!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Yes, cut side up. I first brush it with some butter and then add grated parmigiano before shoving it in the oven.

It depends, really, on how you are using it. If you want heavier caramelization but more moisture, roast it on a good, heavy dark baking sheet, cut side down. (I leave the seeds and fibers around them in, by the way, when roasting skin side down.) If moisture is an issue in your recipe or intended use, roast it skin side up. ;o)

Dc4f378d 9c5f 4bc7 bccc a12dec743a08  pic

I cut it and brush with olive oil, roast side up, and I've never had an issue where it gets tough. I cook it at 400 for about 45 mins, or until tender.