🔕 🔔

I'm trying to pop amaranth, but it keeps burning and not popping. Help?

asked by kkerkman about 6 years ago

Amaranth is a very fine grain. Why are you trying to pop it?

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I once popped it accidentally when tossing it in coconut oil before cooking it like rice (experiment). It was at medium-high heat with about 1 Tbls coconut oil and 1/2 cup amaranth grain, stirring around constantly. Honestly? It isn't worth the trouble. It tasted nearly the same as regular amaranth and didn't grow huge the way corn does. I'm with boulangere: why?

10c6ddb2 958d 4cf6 87ab 046395dabce3  kelli

A recipe called for it - thanks!

Your pan probably isn't hot enough. Test by adding only 2-3 grains first. They should pop immediately. If they do, add 2-3 tablespoons and then, shake or stir constantly while they pop. I also like to use a spatter screen to keep them in the pot while they pop. Also, they will burn quickly, so when they start popping vigorously I remove the pan from the heat as the popping slows. Dump the popped amaranth into a bowl and start the process again.

F96a3732 de35 4247 a0ad 4ffdae97a5d6  open uri20150425 9914 14jl7qq

Did you know that you can buy amaranth already popped?
http://www.5-am.co/popped...