Vegetarian cookbook?

I have a vegetarian friend who wants to get together periodically and improve her cooking skills. One thought was to focus on one cookbook. Suggestions for one that would be fun?

asked almost 7 years ago

Smainiac

Lucid Food by Louisa Shafia - a beautiful book with easy to use recipes organized around seasons. Her focus is on eco-friendly cooking - making vegetarian the way to go (there may be one chicken recipe in the book).

BlueKaleRoad

Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi ... I hope to make every dish in this book! The recipes are unique and inspired, and Ottolenghi provides detailed, step by step, instructions (I learned the best way to poach an egg). Lovely photos, too.

The Greens cookbook is a classic. Sounds like a lovely project.

I've enjoyed cooking from "Grains, Greens and Grated Coconut," by Ammini Ramachandran. It's the vegetarian cooking of Kerala, India. http://www.amazon.com/s...

I realize that's cuisine specific, but just thought I'd mention it. Such lovely food.

Esther Plume

I'll second Ottolenghi, creative and flavourful!

student epicure

I'm also a huge fan of the Ottologenhi cookbook. I'd also add Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian...a classic that exposes you to a variety of cuisines and flavors.

Deborah Madison - Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is superb. Also, allow yourselves to get into some raw food recipes. Charlie Trotter and Roxanne Klein (yes, the Charlie Trotter) have a wonderful book with beautiful illustrations called simply Raw. This sounds like a really fun project. A group of friends and I did this with raw recipes. We met once a month a fixed our favorite foods and shared them.

Erica the Ninja

I have been wanting to pick up the Ottolenghi cookbook, but I have heard that many people have had problems with the recipes working. One that I can recommend with absolutely no reservations is Heidi Swanson's newest "Supernatural Every Day." The food is fairly simple, creative and always delicious. To get an idea of what she is about, check out her blog: 101cookbooks.com.

Thanks, everyone! I'd been thinking maybe Greens, because we could take field trips to the restaurant and to Green Gulch Farm, the gorgeous source of their vegetables. But hmm... a field trip to Ottolenghi? Now, that would make for a fun project!

Anyway, I just picked up those two books, and I'm keeping a list of your other suggestions, so that I can be on the look out for them. Thanks again.

I'm very jealous. Green Gulch Farm is such an idyllic place. Have you ever been to the Sunday Zen service?

No, but I walked through there this weekend. Ironically, I was with a Buddhist friend. She's spent whole weeks, while I've only ever just walked through. And even more ironically, leafing through my new purchases, I just discovered that the watermelon and feta salad she brought for our picnic is a recipe from Plenty! I guess we're all connected.

BlueKaleRoad

Enjoy your cooking project. Sounds like a LOT of fun! :)

spuntino

tender by nigel slater! beautiful cookbook all around, and the veggie recipes can't be beat!
http://www.amazon.com/Tender...

cookinginvictoria

Such a fun project! I agree that the Greens Cookbook is a superb cookbook and stands the test of time. And what a great idea to do a field trip to the Green Gulch Farm. I also like the Heidi Swanson cookbook, Super Natural Every Day. There is one other vegetarian cookbook that would also be a great candidate for this project: The Vegetarian Option by Simon Hopkinson. Hopkinson is the celebrated British chef who wrote Roast Chicken and Other Stories. His recipes in The Vegetarian Option are simple but very creative.

For complete and basic veg cooking, I use Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cooking. It's modeled on the Joy of Cooking, and covers all categories. Not cutting edge though!

moka

While it's not entirely vegetarian, the Williams Sonoma Eat Well Cookbook has a section full of really delicious vegetarian dishes. I highly recommend it.

moka

moka

vvvanessa

i second the suggestions of deborah madison, madhur jaffrey, and heidi swanson, and i'll throw in the classic moosewood cookbook by mollie katzen. it's old-school, but it's got so many great recipes that have become staples for me over the last few decades.

There'sAlwaysPie

Heidi Swanson's cook books are fantastic. I'm also a HUGE fan of the Moosewood cookbooks - I've always had great success with their recipes and own practically the whole library!

alygator

I have to say that I also find Heidi Swanson's cookbooks amazing. You should check them out! I have made several dishes and they were all delicious!

Dorothye

I use my Deborah Madison cookbook alot. I also like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I've given it as a wedding gift and gotten rave reviews.

cookbookchick

Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love. Everything I've cooked from it has been fabulous!

HomegrownTravels

I love Moosewood Cookbooks for the basics! They recently came out with a new one called Simple Suppers and there are some great basic recipes that you can easily build off of.

chickenX2

Martha Rose Shulman's Mediterranean Harvest is a lovely book!

Bevi

Anna Thomas's Vegetarian Epicure Books One and Two. She has great recipes that I still make.