Marinating Shrimp

I am going to saute shrimp without the shell. Is there any benefit to marinating the shrimp first? Thanks in advance!

• Posted by: SKK
  • August 18, 2011

boulangere August 18, 2011

It depends what you're going to do with it, but sweet shrimp has such a wonderful flavor all its own that there really isn't any need. If you're concerned about it being tough, just be sure not to overcook it.

Greenstuff August 18, 2011

As boulangere says, there's no need. But if you want to, go ahead. Just don't marinate them in an acid that will "cook" them, and don't marinate them for too long.

amysarah August 18, 2011

Shrimp absorb flavors so fast, marinating them for more than the briefest period can blunt its delicate taste. Plus, acid in a marinade (lemon juice, etc.) will start to 'cook' them.

Depends on how you're cooking them; for instance, if you're sauteeing with garlic, that's plenty of flavor - marinating beforehand would likely be overkill.

Asian shrimp dishes are another thing - marinating them in, e.g., baking soda and ice water, gives them that distinctive crunchy texture, it's not a flavor enhancer.

SKK August 18, 2011

Thank you all! No to marinating.

latoscana
latoscana August 18, 2011

Too much marinading will turn your shrimp into ceviche.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I love to marinate seafood in water marinades. I simply puree fresh herbs in water and that way I get the flavor and fune without the chemical harshness of the acid. Sometimes I even use strong teas as a marinade. Light and bright with a pinch of that x factor

Sam1148 August 18, 2011

It kinda depends on the shrimp. It's been previously frozen, I defrost them in salted water (sea water taste type). And I do marinade if I'm grilling or broiling, just draining them and putting in the acid/oil. For about 10-15 mins.

Sam1148 August 18, 2011

One another thing. In most of America the shrimp you see at the supermarket on ice is the exact same product they sell in bags frozen. They just dump it on ice. So that shrimp might have been sitting there for a day or more..defrosting on ice. Do that at home and get the bagged frozen product. Of course if you live near a coast and fresh shrimp is at your market brought in that day and was in the ocean that night--that's better.