Thanks for answer, A.H. I have one more borscht Q: it says use dried porcini, soak etc. I only have a mixed bag of dried mushrooms, with Shitaki, black, oyster, and porcini. Can I use, or with the Shitake be overpowering. It's just an ounce in a giant pot. Thanks again. Foodpickle is so awesome.

asked by EmilyNunn about 8 years ago

allie

I can't imagine it would make a difference -- though for a truly amazing borscht recipe, check out http://www.food52.com/recipes....

Midge

I've done exactly that before and it's been fine. I found the recipe that I use out of the Rebar cookbook (awesome vegetarian cookbook from a restaurant in Victoria, B.C.), btw) here: http://www.or-gani.org.il/len/aencyclopedia/c13742/58177.php

Personally I find shitake mushrooms to be almost neutral in taste, far from overpowering. In fact, I'd place them at the low end of the bland dial. Porcini (cepes) have a stronger flavor.

EmilyNunn

Thanks, Midge. Pierino, so funny that you say that. I have a really strong reaction to shitakes, and can taste the tiniest bit--I love them, but sometimes can't forget them, really strong taste memory. Allie, that gorgeous borscht recipe is next on my list. The soup turned out beautifully--Barbara Kafka's vegetarian borscht (celery root, potatoes, beet greens, carrot, cabbage, etc.)