🔕 🔔

Freezing bananas -- do you freeze them peeled or unpeeled?

Gonna try pureeing frozen bananas tonight.

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked about 6 years ago

Ef22f4c2 1845 4a17 90da cef71ff155a4  image mg 0362

I freeze bananas unpeeled then nuke them if i want them defrosted right away; they become this very concentrated puree.

I freeze with the skin on because I'm planning to make banana bread, for example. But if you're going to puree them frozen, I'm wondering if you might have trouble peeling them. Seriously, it's bananas, let's not overthink this. I vote for unpeeled.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I used to freeze with peel but had trouble peeling so started freezing unpeeled and as Jenny said nuking them,

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I've never heard of/tried the microwave trick. It sounds great if you have a microwave. I have found it difficult to remove peel after freezing, so I take the skin off and pop in a baggie before stashing in fridge.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

If you're going to freeze them for a puree to eat like a sort-of sorbet, then I'd peel them before freezing.

If you're going to freeze them for a puree to use for banana bread, then do what Jestei does. or you can just leave them on the counter for a while to defrost.

I freeze them with the peel on for smoothies and just cut them in half and peel this way while they're frozen when I'm ready to use. If you have difficulty, you can always just use the knife to help you peel of the skin!