🔕 🔔

How do I store arugula in order to keep it fresh for the longest amount of time?

asked by Totsandplans over 6 years ago

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

With all leaf lettuces, I wash when I get them home. A key step is to dry thoroughly, to the point of feeling like you are over-doing it. Then pack lightly in a plastic bag with strips of paper towel to absorb and protect the leaves. Smush out all of the air and close the bag. I store in the vegetable bin in the fridge. The lettuce will last about a week, though we usually eat it all up before then.

I often store it much as I do parsley. Separate the bunch and wash it well to get rid of the inevitable grit. Spin it as dry as possible in a spinner, and blot any large droplets with paper towels. Then take a long strip of paper toweling and spread the arugula (or parsley) in a single layer on the toweling. Now, roll it up, but not to tightly, and put the roll into a zip lick storage bag with the top open. Store this in your crisper. The arugula/parsley should be good for at least a week (or until you use it up.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

I do the same washing and thorough drying, but instead of a plastic bag, I store it in a large tupperware container lined with a paper towel on the top and the bottom. I do this for all salad greens and they last forever this way!