🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Baked Ricotta and Goat Cheese with Candied Tomatoes Okay, this may seem like an odd question indeed.

324473d7 b7f6 4fa7 97e6 0ae845ea195d  food52 082211 3315

But if you wanted to adapt this recipe, because you knew that some of your guests did not care for goat cheese at all, what cheese would you use instead? Thank you so much. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

How about a non-goat milk fromage blanc? Would be similar in texture and flavor to fresh goat cheese. I'd also think about an aged Manchego (Viejo) or a sharp cheddar. Something with a fairly strong and sharpish flavor seems like it would be a good alternative.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

My sister can't stand goat cheese - it literally makes her gag. I use feta, sour cream or even boursin at times.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I am with SKK; I'd use boursin!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I'm planning to make this also and my husband also hates goat cheese (and feta, boursin, etc.) so I was thinking of using all ricotta and upping the herbs--maybe a mixture of basil and oregano in addition to the marjoram--and adding lemon or lime zest and possibly some garlic.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Goat cheese also comes in various forms, both soft and hard. The recipe isn't very specific, but I am sure you can substitute cow's cheese successfully ( in terms of texture, with an expected palatable variation in taste to those who know their cheese). I have tasted a great variety of Feta cheeses and even they vary considerably in their own family. And since this is a composite bake, I think a substitution will be forgiving. If it is the tang that bothers you, it might be a bit more of a problem here since the candied tomatoes contrast it, but you can try to ofset it with a bit of honey in the bake itself. Or if it is the smell, I suppose you can use a bouquet of other herbs along with the marjoram...Letting a block of feta rest in clean water for several hours or overnight mellows the taste quite a bit. Hope this helps.