what's your best recipe/use for 100% Maple sirup?

asked by @chaos0815 almost 8 years ago

Christina Ward

I love making cookies with maple syrup! They add a beautiful texture and subtle flavor. I make a Maple Sugar Cookie that I then decorate with an colored egg wash painted to look like maple leaves. I worked up the recipe for my friend's tavern in Milwaukee: The Sugar Maple (http://www.mysugarmaple...). I make and serve them on special occasions. I'll post the recipe to "my" book....

mainecook61

Pancakes. Really. The flavor tends to disappear when it is put in something that's cooked or baked. Second best use: maple ice cream. I use lots of it (granola, custard, to flavor yogurt, in the cavities of baked squash, on oatmeal) because we have a maple orchard, but it's so expensive that you'll want to put it where you can taste it. If you are going to cook with it, the darker grade (grade B) is best. It takes 30-40 gallons of sap and lots of work to make a gallon of syrup!

Here are 2 of my favorites from Food52:

healthierkitchen

I love to put some on my oatmeal instead of brown sugar!

Drizzle it over Greek yogurt. Top with some toasted almonds. So good!

And definitely pancakes and waffles, too!

foodfighter

Most recently I used it to make a maple glaze for donuts. It was awesome. A small batch is a quarter cup milk, a bit of vanilla and maple syrup. Reduce till thickened. Would be great on cookies as well.

AmandaE

Maple Peach Cookies! http://dancingveggies.blogspot...

I actually cook with maple syrup all the time in place of vanilla extract or instead of honey in bread recipes.

vvvanessa

i second drbabs. this weekend, i made this for the second time, and it's lovely:

betteirene

Got snow in your part of the world? Have a "Sugar On Snow" party. Boil down maple syrup without stirring until it reaches 240-250 degrees on a candy thermometer. Carefully ladle the syrup onto clean snow. Serve the maple taffy with dill pickles, glazed donuts and coffee; apple cider and plain cake donuts are more to my taste. If you don't have snow, a bowl of crushed ice would probably work.

Jon Palmer

Gently fold maple syrup into softly-whipped cream to pair with fresh ripe fruit for what might be my favorite dessert.

Fay
Fay

What is the difference between Grade A maple syrup and Grade B cooking maple syrup?

skittle

On slow roasted tomatoes in the summer time. It adds an exceptional flavor.

Too many to link, but do a search for amazing, creative recipes right here on food52. I brush on maple syrup on bacon and bake (with the other side brushed with dijon mustard). Also, try brushing on steak to carmelize it on the grill. Mix with goat cheese & some thyme for cheese platter, drizzle on vanilla ice cream, use as a glaze on root vegetables, add it to a marinade or salad dressing, or host a pancake breakfast/brunch/dinner. You could mix some with fruit and roast. Add it to anything that needs sweetness or carmelization - the possibilities are endless. Oh, make a compound butter for an anytime treat on your favorite bread. I'm so hungry right now. I'm going to have some plain Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey in honor of your question.

This discussion has lots more one the topic:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

Now this is interesting: the question was asked 8 months ago, popped up when Fay asked for the difference between Grade A and B -- and there we go again! Meanwhile who can answer Fay?

Cut & Pasted from Wikipedia:

In Canada, there are three grades containing several color classes, ranging from Canada #1, including Extra Light (sometimes known as AA), Light (A), and Medium (B); through #2 Amber (C); and finally #3 Dark (D).[2] In addition, Canada #2 Amber may be labeled Ontario Amber for farm sales in that province only.[29] A typical year's yield will be about 25 to 30 percent of each of the #1 colors, 10 percent #2 Amber, and 2 percent #3 Dark.[30]

The United States uses somewhat different grading standards. Maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further broken down into three sub-grades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber.[2] Grade B is darker than Grade A Dark Amber. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets uses a similar grading system of color and is roughly equivalent, especially for lighter syrups.[2] The Vermont grading system differs from the US system in maintaining a slightly higher standard of product density. New Hampshire maintains a similar standard, but not a separate grading scale. The Vermont graded product has 0.9 percent more sugar and less water in its composition.[31] A non-table grade of syrup called commercial, or Grade C, is also produced under the Vermont system.[31]

Typically #1 Extra Light and Grade A has a milder flavor than #3 or Grade B, which is very dark with a sharp maple flavor.[31] The dark grades of syrup are primarily used for cooking and baking.[32] The classification of maple syrup in the US ultimately depends on its translucence. US Grade A "Light Amber" has to be more than 75 percent translucent, US Grade A "Medium Amber" has to be 60.5 to 74.9 percent translucent, US Grade A "Dark Amber" has to be 44 to 60.4 percent translucent, and US Grade B "Commercial" has to be less than 43.9 percent translucent.[8]

I use maple syrup (100%) all year-round, so use the above information as a guideline when cooking. For example, Vermont Grade B is my go to cooking (not ust baking), because that's my taste preference. The color of your food will be affected (slightly) when using dark vs. lighter. If you use maple syrup enough or would like to challenge yourself with a blind taste test, sample packs with different grades are available online for purchase. There is a difference in taste - I like a lighter syrup on pancakes.