Quick, delicious recipes for artichoke leaves?

Will be making dymnyno's Heart of gold recipe tonight, but I feel horrible throwing out the leaves....what can I make with the leaves?

asked by yella almost 7 years ago

If you're using small, tender artichokes, you could try frying up the leaves in olive oil, a la this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes... If the leaves are big and tough, I think your best bet is to steam them and just go at them with your teeth!

yella

thanks merrill! these artichokes are the size of my head... so maybe you're right and i should stick to steaming! I could use the same dipping sauce from dymnynos recipe I guess...

MTMitchell

I'm not sure how this would work with the recipe, and it's definitely not a very lady-like way to eat artichokes, but we always clip the pointy parts off of the tips of the leaves, steam the artichokes with lemon, garlic and a bunch of herbs (whatever's around) in the water until done (30 minutes? 45? I just start checking at 30), and serve the whole thing with melted butter that has tarragon mixed in, along with a little salt and pepper (fresh if I have it on hand, dried if not). Here's where the messy part comes in (and I am fully aware that this is not everyone's style, and that many people consider the leaves to be less-than-edible, but...) -- pull each leaf off, dip the meaty "end" in the butter, and scrape the meat off with your bottom teeth. It's definitely messy, and it's delicious and fun and a great way to use up the leaves.