Sub for marscapone?

I'm looking for a substitute for marscapone. I saw a recipe that said you add it to a pasta dish-to make it creamy. I was hoping for something a bit lower in fat that was somewhat similar in flavor? Am I out of luck?

asked by skittle almost 7 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Low fat cream cheese(not non fat) or neufchatel could be a good substitution. You could mix it with a little low fat sour cream for a creamier consistency.

wssmom

I have used cream cheese, mixed with a bit of whipping crean, as an acceptable substitute.

You could try fromage blanc -- won't be as creamy but nice flavor.

I was thinking ricotta with a little bit of sugar to mimic the innate sweetness of MasCARpone.

Oh, but mascarpone is so sinfully decadent and divine!

skittle

SKK-I know! It's lovely. My mother is coming for dinner and wants something "healthy". *Sigh*

ATG117

Greek yogurt-- Fage is my preference. Not an exact substitue, but healthy. (And I'd use 2% or 0% if you really want to). Fromage blanc, as per Amanda's suggestion, is also healthier and lower in fat as compared with marscapone.

Marlin Darlin

I mix 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 cream chesse. Always seems to work.