🔕 🔔

Sub for marscapone?

I'm looking for a substitute for marscapone. I saw a recipe that said you add it to a pasta dish-to make it creamy. I was hoping for something a bit lower in fat that was somewhat similar in flavor? Am I out of luck?

asked by skittle about 6 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Low fat cream cheese(not non fat) or neufchatel could be a good substitution. You could mix it with a little low fat sour cream for a creamier consistency.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I have used cream cheese, mixed with a bit of whipping crean, as an acceptable substitute.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You could try fromage blanc -- won't be as creamy but nice flavor.

I was thinking ricotta with a little bit of sugar to mimic the innate sweetness of MasCARpone.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Oh, but mascarpone is so sinfully decadent and divine!

SKK-I know! It's lovely. My mother is coming for dinner and wants something "healthy". *Sigh*

Greek yogurt-- Fage is my preference. Not an exact substitue, but healthy. (And I'd use 2% or 0% if you really want to). Fromage blanc, as per Amanda's suggestion, is also healthier and lower in fat as compared with marscapone.

52cd290c 41fb 4edc bfd1 71fcf5ec1e19  masqurade

I mix 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 cream chesse. Always seems to work.