I just picked up these funny little squashes. I was thinking about roasting them. Other ideas? I have never made these before.

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 7 years ago

Summer of Eggplant

Here's the picture, sorry.

Helen's All Night Diner

Are you sure they're squash? They look more like eggplant from this picture. I would stuff & roast them... preferably with a stuffing involving bacon.

They look like Striped Toga Eggplant.

Summer of Eggplant

They feel like eggplants too. I took the man at his word. Shows what I know. The irony is certainly no lost. Thanks for clarifying.

@SummerofEggplant - I love the irony and I love that we are all learning together! Also love the photo.

Droplet

I have never seen orange eggplant. I know of someone ,though, who spent some time in Africa with the Peace Corps and remember her saying that they must have close to 40 different varieties there. Anyway, you would know once you slice one.
With little things like this I try to think of ways to preserve their shape because that it what gives them character. If they are trully squashes, maybe you can scoop out the seeds, stuff a cheese rectangle in each, wrap in foil and roast...just an idea.

Helen's All Night Diner

I got some jilo eggplant last week in my farm share. Looks similar to what you have. I made this recipe with them: http://flavorsofbrazil.blogspot.com/2010/10/recipe-spicy-stuffed-gilo-jilo-com.html
It was fantastic, of course, there's bacon in it, which doesn't hurt...

Best pickle of the day! I was thinking "Summer of Eggplant doesn't also know squash?" And then I saw the picture! Great fun! Enjoy them.

mcd2

they look small to me like maybe too small to stuff. my sister came home with some eggplants last week that were striped green spheres-about the size of an apricot. we added them to a regular purple eggplant and made ratatouille. because they seemed too small to function on their own-only 3 of them. you have a bigger number there to slice and work with. anyway, just a thought, the standby ratatouille.

sfwork

when in doubt, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast 'em!

In Provence, they would probably stuff them, whether they are squash or eggplant. ;)

Summer of Eggplant

Thank you all for your thoughts and your good humor. I melted an anchovy in some olive oil, added some thyme and roasted them in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes. And I ate them with a spicy Italian sausage.

mcd2

how did they taste? would you recommend if we were to find similar in our area?

Summer of Eggplant

Yes, I would recommend them, highly. They were sweeter and had a slightly stronger smell and taste.