Making sausage: patties versus links?

I've been toying with the idea of making my own sausage for a while, but I don't have a good idea as to where to begin. I know how much fun it can be to make the links yourself, but as a college student, I sure don't have the funds nor the counter space for a meat grinder with all the great attachments! Would those with more experience say that recipes for the meat mixture in sausage links translate well to patties? How long would such a concoction safely keep in the fridge or freezer?

asked by Ellmy almost 7 years ago

These by Mrs. Wheelbarrow are so totally yummy and easy: http://www.food52.com/recipes.... I made them as patties. I would absolutely make them and freeze for later use. Perhaps others can say for how long; I'd be comfortable with several months, although I'm sure it's the case that the shorter the time period the better.

You can totally make link recipes up as patties. The big difference is you aren't putting the mixture into casings. You can make up the patties and store them between sheets of plastic wrap and freeze in a double zip lock freezer bag.

Be sure to burp the bag very well to get out all the air. They will keep until you eat them up. But I'm guessing that won't be very long. ;)

Patties are so much better than links. They freeze beautifully, are easier to cook and don't have the casings, which are unappetizing for several reasons in my opinon.

bella s.f.

We really like experimenting with different kinds of sausage. We always make patties or use the sausage meat loose as you would use any ground meat. We have been doing this for years, and have never stuffed the meat into casings. We vacuum seal the meat. It freezes very well. You will probably use it long before it would go bad. Using it like you would use any ground meat, it is great to throw into ragu, soup, chili, etc. Have fun with it.

wssmom

I adore homemade sausage patties, and with my vacuum sealer they last a long time. Freezing seems to intensify the seasonings, though, so I'd lighten up on them.