🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cherry Tomato Spread

9d335ad9 d2b5 4f74 b426 aad3ec73b103  cherrytomatospread food52 soupaddict

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Cherry Tomato Spread" from MyGardenersTable. It says:

"Put mixture in a small cast-iron pot and cook covered in the preheated oven for 1 hour." Would a covered casserole or heavy pot work as well? Don't want to purchase a cast iron pot. Thanks in advance

asked by SKK about 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I think it would. You might want to cover the casserole with heavy foil before you put the lid on.

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

A covered pot or a casserole would work, as long as it (and its knob) can withstand the oven temperature of 400 degrees. Pyrex glassware with an all-glass lid should be fine, as glass is resistant to high temperatures. Re drbabs' suggestion I would not use aluminum foil with tomatoes, as their acid can corrode and dissolve the foil.

@MyGardenersTable--do you think the foil would be a problem if it never came into contact with the tomatoes? I was envisioning a deep casserole where the spread didn't come all the way to the top, and suggested the foil to hold the heat in in case the cover didn't fit tightly as it does on a cast iron pot.

@ drbabs: I see your point but I am not sure. I have seen lasagna creating little holes in aluminum foil, although it did not touch. I have to bounce that question back and hope there are some food chemistry specialists reading this.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

When I tested this I did not use a cast-iron pot, but a small, heavy Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Perhaps putting the aluminum foil over the existing lid to ensure no steam escaping?