Some of my large stainless steel stirring spoons have acquired a gray or bluish patina over the years. Anyone know why or how to restore the shine?

thirschfeld
thirschfeld October 20, 2010

there is a stainless steel cleaner called cameo. It took the blue out but I wouldn't say it restored the shine.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 20, 2010

Bar Keeper's Friend!!! Its cheap and can be found everywhere, from hardware stores to kitchen supply stores. It is a gentle cleanser that works miracles in cleaning most metals, especially stainless steel. If you don't want to buy it, you can try baking soda and few teaspoons of water, mix into a paste and slather all over the affected area on you spoons. Leave it for a minute and rinse it off. But Bar Keeper's Friend is really the way to go.

foodfighter
foodfighter October 20, 2010

I second Bar Keepers's, it is a very mild abrasive cleaner. It will get rid of the patina, and restore the shine. I would suggest you use sparingly (i.e. only when the patina is real irritating).

pierino October 21, 2010

Patina is not bad unless your pans are purely ornamental. Another product is Hagerty, for stainless steel and chrome. In case you have to polish the pipes on your Harley too.

calendargirl
calendargirl October 23, 2010

Thanks, guys! I did get Bar Keeper's Friend and have used it to good effect. It works well on our stainless sink, too.