🔕 🔔

Best oil to use for stir fry ?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

Peanut oil is a good choice because of its high smoking point. Do not use if you have peanut allergies...

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

It's best to use something with a high smoke point so you can get your wok really hot without burning the oil -- peanut, especially, but also canola, coconut and grapeseed oil are good choices.

I usually use peanut oil, but sometimes grapeseed.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Coconut oil is great but can have a distinct flavor & aroma of its own (BTW, it pairs great with plantain), peanut oil would be my first suggestion.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I usually use sesame oil because of the great flavor it lends the dish. I believe it has a slightly lower smoke point than peanut oil, but it's not too far off. I've never caught it on fire, anyway (yet).

Agree with peanut oil comments (it also adds an authentically Asian flavor). But that grapeseed oil is a close runner up. I sometimes add a small amount of chili oil to the former (that combines soybean oil with chili powder---makes you strong).