Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

What is the most nutritious bean

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I was waiting for Susan G or Anitalectric to post this answer because they are usually spot on. And I am a sucker for questions like this, so I did my little bit of research at http://www.healthaliciousness... and found that #1 Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame) 776 calories per cup 68 grams of protein per cup Protein: 40% Carb: 33% Fat: 20% But look at the calories and fat per cup!

So my vote goes to Boiled White Beans 249 calories per cup 17.4 grams of protein per cup Protein: 10% Carb: 25% Fat: 0.4%

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

@SKK, that link is a great resource. Actually, the comparison should be of dry roasted soybeans to peanuts (next line) -- the soybeans are the crunchy dry ones that are almost weightless. White beans is a good choice, but you want to compare it with boiled soybeans. Soybeans are very high in protein (and it's complete protein) and also high in fat.
"Most nutritious" is tricky! We are balancing protein, fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals... If we eat a variety of healthy foods -- vary the beans, match them with whole grains, eat fresh vegetables in season and pay attention to personal needs and limitations, we'll do well,