how do you make pudding from scratch?

I am living in a foreign country. No pudding mixes available. Craving chocolate pudding.

asked by cheriegirl almost 7 years ago

You'll find lots of possibilities here! Just choose what sounds good and follow the directions exactly -- should be excellent!

moka

Here is my Mom's recipe; just thinking about it brings back countless wonderful childood memories. My family would be so impatient to eat it, we always ate it still warm/hot. In fact, my brother and I thought pudding was supposed to be eaten warm until we were in high school! This recipe makes vanilla pudding, but to make it chocolate, just melt in chocolate chips while it's hot.

Serves 4

3 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 c milk or cream
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
Chocolate chips (for chocolate pudding)

1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a room temperature saucepan and mix well.
2. Stir in flour and salt.
3. Turn heat to medium and gradually pour in milk or cream, stir constantly until pudding thickens and starts to boil. (If you don't pay close attention or stop stirring, you will get tiny, dumpling-like balls in your pudding).
4. Reduce heat and boil 2 minutes longer, stirring.
5. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, followed by chocolate chips, if desired.

cheriegirl

Susan and Moka:
Thank you so much! I will give both recipes a try! Thanks again!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Food52 did a pudding contest back in February...so when you're ready for new flavors check these entries out
http://www.food52.com/contests...