🔕 🔔

beets have been in fridge a week. they are now soft but otherwise seem fine. safe to eat or no?

asked by @alexandracale about 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I have some in the same condition! If they are just a bit soft, they should be ok. If they are slimy or moldy, toss them out. I have kept them for weeks in the fridge by putting them in a roomy Tupperware type container lined with paper towels. Works great for carrots, turnips, etc.

Absolutely! Scrub them, wrap them in foil, bake in the oven until cooked through then whizz them up with yoghurt, garlic, cumin and salt for an amazing dip.

Agree with all of the above. In the absence of (yikes) mold, persevere. They sound more tired than spoiled.

You might be able to re-crisp them by putting them in a bowl in the fridge overnight covered with water. I've had good luck doing that with radishes and carrots when they are a bit limp.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

perfectly safe to consume...As boulangere says, as long as ther's no fuzzy white stuff on it or any pink juice oozing, just slice em steam em, toss with some feta, salt & pepper..

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

I'm not going to desagree but if they've been on your fridge for only a week and they're already soft it seems to me that they've lived a long life before they moved in with you,or the accommodations you offered were not the best.I keep mine on zip-locks unlocked...they last for 2 sometimes 3 months!They're resilient little things,aren't they?