beets have been in fridge a week. they are now soft but otherwise seem fine. safe to eat or no?

asked by @alexandracale almost 7 years ago

Helen's All Night Diner

I have some in the same condition! If they are just a bit soft, they should be ok. If they are slimy or moldy, toss them out. I have kept them for weeks in the fridge by putting them in a roomy Tupperware type container lined with paper towels. Works great for carrots, turnips, etc.

Lambs' Ears and Honey

Absolutely! Scrub them, wrap them in foil, bake in the oven until cooked through then whizz them up with yoghurt, garlic, cumin and salt for an amazing dip.

Agree with all of the above. In the absence of (yikes) mold, persevere. They sound more tired than spoiled.

drkate

You might be able to re-crisp them by putting them in a bowl in the fridge overnight covered with water. I've had good luck doing that with radishes and carrots when they are a bit limp.

Panfusine

perfectly safe to consume...As boulangere says, as long as ther's no fuzzy white stuff on it or any pink juice oozing, just slice em steam em, toss with some feta, salt & pepper..

mensaque

I'm not going to desagree but if they've been on your fridge for only a week and they're already soft it seems to me that they've lived a long life before they moved in with you,or the accommodations you offered were not the best.I keep mine on zip-locks unlocked...they last for 2 sometimes 3 months!They're resilient little things,aren't they?