🔕 🔔

Can broken plastic Cuisinart parts be recycled? cc @TotsandPlans

asked by @amandahesser about 6 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

It'll depend on you area. It's probably high impact polycarbonate plastic. If you're speaking of the bowl. Contact your local recycling group. Look for groups that recycle computer parts and appliances.

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Amanda, I think not. NYC only recycles plastic types 1 and 2 which are much softer types of plastic than what's found in a food processor.

And sorry to hear about the death of your Cuisinart. What recipe did it in?

I would wonder if a "mom/pop" appliance repair store would take it in for working parts?
Also some places have recycling days that take items like computers and appliances not normally taken by their normal program. Check their website.

@peter
I think I'm the only person ever to break a blade on a vitamix--a late 70's chrome one.
The old infomercial would show those suckers pulverizing blocks of wood into sawdust. Apparently, battle hardened Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind is much tougher than wood.