Can broken plastic Cuisinart parts be recycled? cc @TotsandPlans

Sam1148 September 17, 2011

It'll depend on you area. It's probably high impact polycarbonate plastic. If you're speaking of the bowl. Contact your local recycling group. Look for groups that recycle computer parts and appliances.

Peter
Peter September 18, 2011

Amanda, I think not. NYC only recycles plastic types 1 and 2 which are much softer types of plastic than what's found in a food processor.

And sorry to hear about the death of your Cuisinart. What recipe did it in?

Sam1148 September 18, 2011

I would wonder if a "mom/pop" appliance repair store would take it in for working parts?
Also some places have recycling days that take items like computers and appliances not normally taken by their normal program. Check their website.

@peter
I think I'm the only person ever to break a blade on a vitamix--a late 70's chrome one.
The old infomercial would show those suckers pulverizing blocks of wood into sawdust. Apparently, battle hardened Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind is much tougher than wood.