I love fresh cranberries this time of year but need something new to do with them instead of always making cranberry sauce! any ideas?

asked by PerryK about 8 years ago

nutcakes

I love fresh ones baked into muffins. Let me know if you need a recipe, I've got a good one. I've been served appetizers of cranberry and baked brie,no recipe but google will turn up some. Not familiar with too many Food52 recipes yet.

Chutney! Candied to put on stuff like poundcake or something. Baked into quickbreads. Tart salsa. Yum!

Mr_Vittles

I substitute cranberries for a lot of recipes that call for raisins. They offer a nicer contrast and a delicious assertiveness that raisins lack.

Mr_Vittles

Oh sorry about that I forgot that you needed fresh ideas. Candied cranberries are nice, cranberry chutney, and cranberry pies.

PerryK

If you've got a good muffin recipe with fresh cranberries I would love it! That sounds delicious!

raspberryeggplant

Put fresh cranberries in pumpkin muffins or in oatmeal cookies (with white chocolate chips) - really excellent.

nutcakes

Muffins
-1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2-1/2 t baking powser
1/4 t salt
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 c milk
1/3 c butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c chopped cranberries
1/2 c chopped nuts
1-1/2 t grated orange zest (opt)

Preheat to 400F. Grease 12 muffin cups. Combine dry ingred. Combine wet ingred. Mix together with as few strokes as possible. Fold in cranberries, nuts and zest. Fill pans equally. Bake 15 to 20 min. Like all muffins best first day. I seriously love these. From Dairy Hollow House of Soup and Bread.

nutcakes

opps, that is 1-1/2 cups flour!

Kayb

Cranberry salad. 3 cups chopped cranberries, 1 chopped Granny Smith apple, 1 chopped sweeter red apple, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 orange pureed in the food processor, plus that orange's zest, 1 large box raspberry jello mixed with two cups boiling water and 1 1/2 cup sugar. This has been a holiday staple for every year as far back as I can remember (and that's a LONG time!), and I start making it as soon as I find fresh cranberries in the grocery!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Quick bread with cranberry and lemon. Pour over a lemon glaze after baking. Based on a recipe from Judith Olney's Bread Book.
Stuff baked apples with fresh cranberries, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Use cranberry juice for baking liquid.
Cranberry apple pie is delicious.
There's a ckbk of cranberry recipes, can't remember name but could check amazon. quite good. checked it out of library or gave it away but now miss it terribly.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

O Magazine this mo has an article called One Saucy Berry with 6 recipes: Cranberry and Lime Leaf Drunken chicken, Cranberry Gel with Frisee and Pumpkin, Crannberry-Lemongrass Cocktail, Steak with Cranberry Sauce, Chocolate-Covered Cognac Cranberries, and Cranberry French Toast with Mascasrpone (I want to have a French Toast Bar Brunch with food52 French toast recipes and this recipe). There you go, courtesy of Celia Barbour. Thanks, Celia!

Jon Palmer

Cranberries go nicely with the sweetness of apples. A very simple salad of some bitter greens, fresh apples and a cranberry vinaigrette is very nice.

Bevi

cranberry/apple/pear tart on a hazelnut crust, fresh grated cranberry pico de gallo (substitute cranberries for tomatoes) with jalapeno

licia_helgeson_mchardy

Cranberry Salsa
1 bag cranberries ( fresh or frozen)
3 green onions
1 Jalepeno pepper
1/3 Cup sugar
1/4 tsp ginger
1 T dried Mint (3 tsp fresh if you like)
3 T fresh lime juice
In food processor, pulse green onions and jalapeno until minced, add ginger, sugar, mint and lime juice. Pulse to combine. Add cranberries and pulse 7-8 times to get a course texture. We like this a bit course.
I always use frozen cranberries and the food processor, much less cleanup. I make this in the morning and it is the perfect texture and temp by dinner. If you have any left it is wonderful on crackers and cream cheese.
You may have to adjust the amount of jalapeno, start with 1/2 as they vary so much in heat.