A question about a recipe: Cuban Adobo Pork Shoulder

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Cuban Adobo Pork Shoulder" from AntoniaJames. It says:

"Put the onion slices in a braising pan or Dutch oven. Put the meat in on top of that. Cook for about 20 minutes, then add the stock. It should come up about ¼ of the way up the meat. If it doesn’t, add a bit of water. "

7eee0c37 0a1c 4246 9368 8509918cbbbb  cuban adobo pork roast
Recipe question for: Cuban Adobo Pork Shoulder

mensaque
mensaque September 18, 2011

In the recipe Antonia mentioned the water could evaporate and the pot could dry out.It led me thinking you're not suposed to cover it while cooking,but what do I know? Thanks for bringing my attention to the recipe,sounds like a good one...I love pork.

what'sfordinner?
what'sfordinner? September 18, 2011

okay, I'm going to answer my own question since this is dinner in progress. I went with uncovered (though I started it covered for the first 20 minutes and noticed no caramelizing of the onions). It's definitely uncovered because otherwise there would be little or no evaporation of the stock and the pork wouldn't be turning the beautiful color in the picture. The term Dutch oven threw me because I think of using it covered as in a braise.

sdebrango September 18, 2011

I tested this recipe and covered it, I used my graniteware roasting pot that has a lid, it browns nicely even covered and retains all the juices and it was absolutely amazing!!! That said it probably is not meant to be covered. Maybe AntoniaJames will see this and weigh in.

AntoniaJames September 18, 2011

I cook it uncovered. Check the liquid level, though, every half an hour or so, and add more, to prevent the onions from caramelizing too much or the bottom of the pan from drying out. ;o)