🔕 🔔

Has anyone had success using whole wheat flour to make a roux (or bechamel)?

asked by healthierkitchen almost 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I use King Arthur white whole wheat flour in place of all purpose for roux--it comes out fine. (Never have made a bechamel.)

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I've use whole wheat flour for roux and bechamel. The end product is not a silky smooth as a white flour version, but if you're making something more rustic, it doesn't really matter. I think of it as making the switch from white rice to brown rice. After a while brown rice is normal!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I knew I could get good advice here! For a mushroom pasta dish I'm thinking of playing with, I think I will giveiti a try! I often use white whole wheat in the limited baking I do, so I might try that first.
Thanks!

If you want to get really depressed, read this article from the Food52 News section:
http://www.theatlantic...

I know!! First thing I saw this morning. Especially the part about the whole wheat bread!

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

The Spouse has virtually eliminated wheat from his diet and dropped 10 pounds ...

I've used whole wheat flour for roux and for bechamels and veloutes. Just don't be surprised when they're pale beige! Otherwise, it works fine.

drbabs: Americans' addictions to lots of foods are making us fat and unhealthy -- not just wheat. imho one of the biggest problems is the size of our portions, and that we think we MUST have such huge amounts or we're being "cheated." so sad.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I AM depressed from the Atlantic article. Thinking that having just a few potato chips will keep me from eating the whole bag isn't working, I guess. And yes, then I did need that Akmak cracker a few hours later. Having said that, I did manage to eat fewer taco chips last night in our local taqueria by breaking one chip into 3 pieces. I have lived long enough and been through the gamut of diets. Portion control is the key, I believe.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Observations from seeing my husband when he had to eat gluten free: at first he lost weight, but as he experimented with GF options and found some that he really likes, the weight came back. Yes, portions matter, and overeating just doesn't help! Some people claim that any flour, whole grain or not, promotes weight gain (pasta as well as baked goods).

Another suggestion for the roux -- whole wheat pastry flour is ground very fine and a bit lighter than regular, but more so than white WW. Even non-wheat flours would thicken.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Never tried whole wheat, but when I make gluten free mac 'n' cheese, rice flour works EXCELLENTLY as a base for roux. Highly recommend it! Just use the same as you would regular flour.

I was making a gumbo and ground up some hard white wheatberries to make the roux. The end product turned out great, but it did not thicken up like I had expected.
The roux did get chocolate brown a lot quicker though!

I use Deborah Madison's recipe (in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) for bechamel. It is lovely, I always make a triple batch, it freezes so last time I even doubled that. I have routinely substituted coconut flour for 1/3 of the wheat flour and it is not noticeable. I also have been substituting coconut milk for 1/3 of the dairy and it is indeed noticeable. So silky.

I did recently, and the texture is a bit grainy. I was using it in a baked pasta dish, so it wasn't a problem in terms of the end result, but I probably wouldn't use whole wheat flour in a bechamel sauce where a silky texture is desired.