🔕 🔔

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

sichuan peppercorns have a very unique flavor that I'm not sure you can easily duplicate. They are not heat, but a flowery pungent flavor. I might just leave them out.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

It depends on what flavor combinations you are working on. If you want you can order sichuan peppercorns from Penzy's. The flavor is essential to the classic Chinese "five spice" but depending on the dish black or white peppercorns might work.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I agree there's no real substitute for as unique a flavor as these but for some je ne sais quois I like cardamon, pink peppercorns, long pepper, tonka bean and/or white peppercorns.

Maybe even grains of paradise? But maybe if you don't have sichuan peppercorns you don't have any of the other exotic spices/berries? I bought my sichuan peppercorns from Penzey's as well.

12dbeb9e 8eab 4169 8c67 927d657907f7  stringio

could i just use equivalent of chinese five spice?