A question about a recipe: Ginger Apple Torte

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Ginger Apple Torte" from drbabs. It says:

"In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Beat in two eggs. Beat in lemon zest, ginger, molasses, rum, and vanilla extract. (The mixture will look curdled. It's OK.)"

If I don't have a stand mixer with paddle attachment, only a food processor, can I still do this step? Should I do it by hand? Shall I find another dessert to serve?

8bdb1c29 226b 4b16 aca8 a30809bbd586  2016 1027 ginger apple torte mark weinberg 402
Recipe question for: Ginger Apple Torte

drbabs September 24, 2011

Hi Davilchick. I'm so happy you're making my cake and I hope you like it. The purpose of the mixer is to whip a lot of air into butter/sugar combination. The more air you can whip in, the lighter and higher the cake will be. I've never made it in a food processor. Do you have a hand mixer? If not, you could do it by hand, just whisk away with as much elbow grease as possible.

DAVILCHICK
DAVILCHICK September 24, 2011

Oh, I can go get a hand mixer!! That'll work? Fantastic. Thanks! And I'm sure the cake will be delicious! Can't wait.

Brette Warshaw
Brette Warshaw September 25, 2011

I've done it by hand and it turned out great!