How much sugar to sweeten unsweetened chocolate? Ok, so I accidentally bought multiple pounds of UNsweeted chocolate disks. I can use some of it to dip orange marshmallows into for an upcoming halloween party, but obviously I need to sweeten it first. So... how much sugar per ounce/gram/pound/stone/pennyweight of chocolate. Thanks so much for indulging my laziness!

• Posted by: Peter
  • October 24, 2010

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 24, 2010

For every 1/2 cup of unsweetened chocolate try adding 1/4 cup of granulate white sugar. Make sure to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or bowl over 1 inch of simmering water in a sauce pan, and then add the sugar gradually. It may take more or less sugar so be sure to taste as you go.

anyone
anyone October 24, 2010

The only ratio I have for this question is for a chocolate sauce using unsweetened chocolate: 4 to 1.

4 parts sugar to 1 part unsweetened chocolate.

anyone
anyone October 24, 2010

I guess I could expand on my last answer a little by saying that the sugar in the ratio is used to make a simple syrup that is then added to melted unsweetened chocolate and butter. Again this is a sauce.