🔕 🔔

How much sugar to sweeten unsweetened chocolate? Ok, so I accidentally bought multiple pounds of UNsweeted chocolate disks. I can use some of it to dip orange marshmallows into for an upcoming halloween party, but obviously I need to sweeten it first. So... how much sugar per ounce/gram/pound/stone/pennyweight of chocolate. Thanks so much for indulging my laziness!

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked about 7 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

For every 1/2 cup of unsweetened chocolate try adding 1/4 cup of granulate white sugar. Make sure to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or bowl over 1 inch of simmering water in a sauce pan, and then add the sugar gradually. It may take more or less sugar so be sure to taste as you go.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

The only ratio I have for this question is for a chocolate sauce using unsweetened chocolate: 4 to 1.

4 parts sugar to 1 part unsweetened chocolate.

I guess I could expand on my last answer a little by saying that the sugar in the ratio is used to make a simple syrup that is then added to melted unsweetened chocolate and butter. Again this is a sauce.