🔕 🔔

How much sugar to sweeten unsweetened chocolate? Ok, so I accidentally bought multiple pounds of UNsweeted chocolate disks. I can use some of it to dip orange marshmallows into for an upcoming halloween party, but obviously I need to sweeten it first. So... how much sugar per ounce/gram/pound/stone/pennyweight of chocolate. Thanks so much for indulging my laziness!

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Mr_Vittles

For every 1/2 cup of unsweetened chocolate try adding 1/4 cup of granulate white sugar. Make sure to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or bowl over 1 inch of simmering water in a sauce pan, and then add the sugar gradually. It may take more or less sugar so be sure to taste as you go.

anyone

The only ratio I have for this question is for a chocolate sauce using unsweetened chocolate: 4 to 1.

4 parts sugar to 1 part unsweetened chocolate.

anyone

I guess I could expand on my last answer a little by saying that the sugar in the ratio is used to make a simple syrup that is then added to melted unsweetened chocolate and butter. Again this is a sauce.