A question about a recipe: Torta di Mele

I have a question about step 10 on the recipe "Torta di Mele" from DueSpaghetti. It says:

"Arrange slices of apple around the top surface of the cake, and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If you wish, turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking in order to give the top a golden brown color.

I assume you are reserving some apples slices to arrange on top of the batter, after the majority of the sliced apples have been added/mixed into the batter before pouring into the pan?

"

• Posted by: drozeira
  • September 28, 2011
C8e6ba1f b413 49a8 917b ee7ccf5cdacf  dsc 0084
Recipe question for: Torta di Mele

ATG117
ATG117 September 28, 2011

That would seem correct to me.

DueSpaghetti
DueSpaghetti September 29, 2011

That is exactly right. There is wiggle room in the exact amount of apples you use. More will produce a denser cake, and fewer will result in a lighter cake. I've never exactly measured the amount I reserve for the top - just enough to decorate with. The important thing is to use Golden delicious apples, because other types have different water content, and this can create problems.