A question about a recipe: Torta di Mele

C8e6ba1f b413 49a8 917b ee7ccf5cdacf  dsc 0084

I have a question about step 10 on the recipe "Torta di Mele" from DueSpaghetti. It says:

"Arrange slices of apple around the top surface of the cake, and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If you wish, turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking in order to give the top a golden brown color.

I assume you are reserving some apples slices to arrange on top of the batter, after the majority of the sliced apples have been added/mixed into the batter before pouring into the pan?

"

asked by drozeira about 7 years ago

ATG117

That would seem correct to me.

DueSpaghetti

That is exactly right. There is wiggle room in the exact amount of apples you use. More will produce a denser cake, and fewer will result in a lighter cake. I've never exactly measured the amount I reserve for the top - just enough to decorate with. The important thing is to use Golden delicious apples, because other types have different water content, and this can create problems.