Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Torta di Mele

C8e6ba1f b413 49a8 917b ee7ccf5cdacf  dsc 0084

I have a question about step 10 on the recipe "Torta di Mele" from DueSpaghetti. It says:

"Arrange slices of apple around the top surface of the cake, and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If you wish, turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking in order to give the top a golden brown color.

I assume you are reserving some apples slices to arrange on top of the batter, after the majority of the sliced apples have been added/mixed into the batter before pouring into the pan?

"

asked by drozeira about 5 years ago

That would seem correct to me.

38166ed5 d6c6 4431 b964 cbd8d4d747e6  pasta on fork 001

That is exactly right. There is wiggle room in the exact amount of apples you use. More will produce a denser cake, and fewer will result in a lighter cake. I've never exactly measured the amount I reserve for the top - just enough to decorate with. The important thing is to use Golden delicious apples, because other types have different water content, and this can create problems.