A question about a recipe: Cream Cheese Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Cream Cheese Cookies" from merrill. Does this cookie not need baking soda? Will that mean the cookie comes out a little flatter than regular cookies?
Thanks!

D186e769 23d8 42e5 95e9 9c4d82523e0e  110920 35 1
Recipe question for: Cream Cheese Cookies

DebS
DebS October 3, 2011

I would say it does not need it; shortbread doesn't usually have any leavener (sp?) in it. They will likely be more crumbly or chewy than cakey.

mcs3000
mcs3000 October 3, 2011

No baking soda. Mine came out just like Merrill said they would. I hope you try them - so wonderful and genius.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks October 3, 2011

I had the same experience ad mcs3000. No baking soda and cookies came out just fine. They are a bit flat and crumbly, but don't that against these delicious and super easy cookies!

Niknud
Niknud October 3, 2011

Ditto - just lovely cookies!

nutcakes
nutcakes October 3, 2011

Thanks for asking a question and bringing these to my attention. I whipped up a batch right away and they are crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle. Not crumbly at all. Does not taste like shortbread, Almost like a meringue but no egg! (Can't wait until my allergic friend tries it.) Well worth making, easy and even elegant. I would serve it for teas or with a light dessert that just needed a little cookie alongside. It is going onto my next cookie tray.

And no baking soda needed, to get back to the question.

Merrill Stubbs October 3, 2011

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in! No leavening necessary, but they still puff a little in the middle.

nutcakes
nutcakes October 3, 2011

Any tips on storage? Will they stay crisp on the edges at all after day one?

happycao
happycao October 11, 2011

thank you everyone! I've just never heard of cookies without baking powder/soda unless its shortbread. Definitely gonna give it a go!

Peter
Peter October 11, 2011

Nutcakes, to your storage question -- the Food52 Team brought me some in a tupperware that lasted for 3 or 4 days and were perfectly fresh. (how they didn't all get eaten by then is beyond me!)

Sigita
Sigita April 9, 2012

No leavening in this cookie- I have made them often - and I find it helpful to press them down a bit- either with the back of a tablespoon or a small glass - it helps them bake more evenly. These are rich decadent cookies that take minutes to make. Everyone loves them and can't figure out what is in them.