Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

I'm looking for good brunch casseroles. Its my turn to host brunch for a crowd at work with a friend and am supposed to make an egg casserole and a potato one. I have two recipes I usually use - a spinach egg casserole I like and an egg casserole with italian sausage and sundried tomatoes. But I want to try a new recipe this time. Any suggestions?

asked by shangrilarcadia about 6 years ago
Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

A frittata is a casserole. I love serving them because they don't have to be served hot: Serving them at warm or room temp is not only expected, it's preferred. Depending on the ingredients used, they're colorful, and if you remember that it will probably be served upside-down, you can artfully arrange vegetables on the bottom of the skillet before carefully pouring in the eggs. There are thousands of recipes, but you don't need a recipe as much as you need to know the technique(s).

Here's the basic one:
http://www.doriegreenspan...

Ina Garten does a mixture of eggs, potatoes, gruyere, ricotta and basil that is baked: http://www.foodnetwork...

The hot-off-the-press "The Essential New York Times Cook Book" by Amanda-- and Merrill--has a different take on frittata-making by Lidia Bastianich: With Swiss chard, scalllions and ricotta, it starts on the stove and finishes in the oven. You'll have to either get the book or search the archives at nytimes.com for the recipe.

You can use any of these recipes as a starting point, but another reason I love making frittatas for crowds is that I can adapt any recipe to the ingredients I have on hand. No cheese? No problem. Someone hate onions? Leave them out. They're very (excuse me for using my two favorite kitchen f-words) flexible and forgiving.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

You could always look at quiche recipes to get ideas. Quiche larraine is always popular because the main ingredients are bacon and swiss cheese and onion. I expanded on quiche lorriane to get my friends to eat it (men on a hunting trip). I use bacon, chedder, cripy potatoes and carmelized onions for the main ingredients.

Here's a standard quiche lorraine recipe: Minus pie dough.

12 slices bacon
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups cream (whole milk will work)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 425F
Place bacon in a large skillet, and fry over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then chop coarsely. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pastry shell.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into pastry shell.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 300F and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean
Let cool before dividing

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I like making strata when I have company. I prepare it the night before and put it in the oven in the morning. This recipe is my basic one; I've varied the vegetables and cheeses to great success. http://www.epicurious.com...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I'm a little confused here, as the term "casserole" actually refers to the baking dish itself, not the contents. But obviously this is now open to wide interpretation. Should we just toss the term casserole out the window and refer to egg or potato baked dishes?

In the US, the word casserole has had a second meaning for quite a while. From wikipedia:
A casserole, from the French for "saucepan",is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word casserole is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. In British English, this type of dish is frequently also called a bake, coinciding with the cooking technique used to cook casseroles.

Casseroles usually consist of pieces of meat (such as chicken) or fish (such as tuna), various chopped vegetables, a starchy binder such as flour, potato or pasta, and, often, a crunchy topping.Liquids are released from the meat and vegetables during cooking, and further liquid in the form of stock, wine, beer (for example lapin à la Gueuze), gin, cider, or vegetable juice may be added when the dish is assembled. Casseroles are cooked slowly in the oven, often uncovered. They may be served as a main course or a side dish, and may be served in the vessel in which they were cooked.

The casseroles we know today are a relatively modern invention.Early 18th century casserole recipes consisted of rice that was pounded, pressed, and filled with a savoury mixture of meats such as chicken or sweetbreads. Some time around the 1870s this sense of casserole seems to have slipped into its current sense. Cooking in earthenware containers has always been common in most nations, but the idea of casserole cooking as a one-dish meal became popular in America in the twentieth century, especially in the 1950s when new forms of lightweight metal and glassware appeared on the market. By the 1970s casseroles took on a less-than sophisticated image.

here's an interesting article with recipes: http://www.npr.org/templates...

Also, to some Americans, one does not "make" or "assemble" a casserole but "fixes" a casserole, as in 'I'm going to fix a tuna casserole for dinner tomorrow."

To me, Pierino, this is beginning to sound like a buffet line issue and not casserole at all, except that it might be served that way. A frittata is not a casserole it's an omelet, but it could be served up out of casseroles. Same thing for potatoes. Do you need a gratin? Say, potato, celery root, onion, cheese? I'm just trying to figure out the serving and plating rules.

5d346465 f104 4003 9b9c 1d3fa68e0087  profile

Our family has a Christmas morning casserole that I've served for brunches that's always a hit. Cook enough bacon in a skillet to crumble & cover the surface area of a 9x13. Pour the bacon grease in the dish, and add the base of shredded potatoes (frozen hash browns, thawed or cooked shredded potatoes). Season the potatoes well. Beat 6-8 eggs, add s/p, and a little milk (like for scrambled eggs) & we add minced onion & finely diced peppers, and pour over the potatoes. Top with shredded cheddar & reserved crumbled bacon, and bake at 350 for at 35 - 45 min, more or less based on the frozen or thawed state of your potatoes. Check the middle for doneness - the egg should be set. It's a sentimental family favorite & holds its heat, so easily transportable.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

My mom used to make a sausage and egg "bake" (i.e. casserole) for a Christmas brunch, with bread cubes and red bell pepper. it cut nicely into squares and the bread cubes made it light and fluffy, almost like a savory bread pudding? I will see if I can find it. . .

I like doing frittatas for much the same reasons betteirene cites. My current favorite includes sauteed leeks and zucchini and pickled fish. The pickled fish is a readily available item here in south africa, slightly pickled firm white fish with onions and a 'curry' flavour. Yummy, but probably wouldn't bother if I couldn't just go to the store and buy pickled fish!

My mother makes some wonderful thing that's basically cheese, eggs, and artichoke hearts...she just got it off the internet.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I love frittatas. Lots of recipes for these in the food52 archives. Also check out the Spanish version, Tortillas, made with potatoes. So delicious. I do a potato/spinach one and it's really tasty. Make these ahead, serve warm or room temp. Different than an egg casserole, but equally delicious.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I vote frittata as well. Here's my favorite: http://kayatthekeyboard...

This is a standby for me. Sometime I play with different veggies and herbs. I usually put some parmesan on top.
http://www.epicurious.com...

For something a little different from the usual brunch fare, I'd suggest this. It does take some more work because of roasting the chiles.
http://simplyrecipes.com...

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Hi...Eggs Benedict Casserole is a good one, check it out:

http://lapadia.wordpress...