Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Fresh Fig, Walnut, and Rosemary Upside-Down Cake

Cf77913f 6596 4e5d 9386 34d2398ebe0e  fig upside down cake

I have a question about the recipe "Fresh Fig, Walnut, and Rosemary Upside-Down Cake" from Food Blogga. If the butter is simply melted in the bottom of the pan, do we really need the whole 1/2 cup called for? Have you tried cutting down on the butter? I would love to make this in a couple of days for company, so if anyone has an answer soon.... much obliged!

asked by EatArt about 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

The butter and brown sugar seem to melt together to form a caramel layer that covers the figs. The problem with reducing the butter is that you risk having the fig layer stick to the bottom of the pan. You could try reducing it a little (I would reduce the sugar that you sprinkle over proportionately, too, but I haven't made this so I can't promise you it will work.)

But here's a question: This is a cake that's meant to serve 8 people. So that's 1 TB of butter per person. If you cut it back, are you making a big difference in the fat and calories in the cake? Not really. But you could risk ruining it. Just something to think about.

A65604ed 5f7f 4e90 b4fc d3def6288bd5  screen shot 2011 06 30 at 11.52.36 am

I wasn't as concerned about the calorie thing as I was about the texture and greasiness of the cake. It seemed like a lot of butter and a lot of sugar in proportion to the other ingredients.