🔕 🔔

Why is flour no longer used to coat fish before saute?

Although a majority of customers just ordered, ate, paid and left, a significant number of them were pleased enough to extend their compliments to the chef. I'm talking about twenty five years of cooking for the public, nine of them at a very busy seafood restaurant where the customers could watch the fish being unloaded from the boat. Where they all simply missing some esoteric point?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I use superfine flour aka Wondra all the time for sauteeing fish. But then so does Eric Ripert who runs the best seafood restaurant in the country, La Bernadin (three Michelin stars). See for example his recipe for "pan roasted cod basquaise" in his new book AVEC ERIC.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

You can see Eric Ripert's method right here, a food52 "genius recipe"! Here's the link: http://www.food52.com/blog...

But I must add, I still use a light coating of regular flour if there's no Wondra at hand.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I agree with both pierino and cookbookchick...I panic when there's no Wondra in the cupboard!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Not sure I understand the original question, but Wondra has been around and used for sauteeing - fish, chicken, veal scallopini, etc. - for many years. I recall my mother using it routinely back in the '60's...way before fish got fancy ;)

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I have used Wondra, and also, rice flour, a la Paul Joseph:

I use flour for coating a fish before frying... That is, when I don't use corn meal. Don't buy Wondra, either. If I want a finer flour, I whirr some organic unbleached in the food processor to make it finer. (This also works for sugar, but don't put that in your fish coating!)