🔕 🔔

Ostrich

Has anyone worked much with ostrich?

asked almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Hi Boulangere, Ihave not worked with it and ate a lot of it in South Africa and loved it. It is very low fat and cooks quite quickly. Love to see what you are planning for it.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I did make ostrich chili once. But only once.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

"Ahhh, the poor little (big) Ostrich" :(

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I have worked with it a fair amount. Not much different the most game meats in that it is lean and needs to be cooked no more than a med rare or at most barely medium. I have always found it to be tasty but not something I search out. Seems to be about three cuts that you see and can find. If you ever get your hands on musk ox though you have hit nirvana, stuff is tasty tasty tasty.

oh, look for the thin medallions they seem to be best in my experience

I had a feeling I might hear from you. I have a few roasts. Haven't unwrapped them yet - for that matter, I haven't even thawed them yet, so I don't know what they look like. Thanks for the tips. If the results are interesting, I'll post them. Thanks very much, Tom.